Modbus messaging

• Thread starter Josue Garro Nuñez
  • Start date
J

Josue Garro Nuñez

Hello,

I'm a student making a project and I'm having problems understanding Modbus register addressing.

I'm using a Modicon Momentum Processor as a Master to read and process data from various devices (GE's IEC Multilin F650 and several Power Meters model EPM7000 from Hsiang Cheng), they're all Modbus compliant devices.

The thing is: I already have each device's documents with the modbus register map, but I don't know how to use it! In the Concept tool "Ethernet IO Scanner" I'm prompted to specify the registers references for both master and slaves. But in the slaves register maps they give an hex address for every data, format and Scale is also specified.

The question is: How do I know what kind of reference should I use to read the data from the slaves (3x, 4x???), because I was expecting to find this reference in the map, instead of an hex memory address! What is the way to build a full ref# from the hex address and the decision of using either 3x or 4x?

Also, in the master: How can I treat a value that has a length of 2 registers in the slave, as a whole value in the master?

Thanks for your help