Modbus Plus to A/B 160 Drive

B

Bill Szuminski

Hello,
Does anyone have any ideas on communicating from a Modicon Modbus Plus "master" to a A/B 160 Drive? I've been told Prosoft has a Scanport device but I'm not sure if the 160 has Scanport on-board.
WGS
Dallas,TX

The AB 160 has two communications options: 1) serial (232) and 2) DeviceNet. If you really have to use Modbus, then check out some of the other AB drives, but I don't think any of the small drives support it. Best bet is to try other drive manufacturers (e.g. Mitsubishi, etc.) or... you could hang a serial interface on the modbus and add the serial interface option to the 160...

Howdy,

The A-B Bulletin 160 drive is the only A-B drive offering without SCANport. Its only communications options are DeviceNet and Allen-Bradley DF1. Its little brother, the Bulletin 161, does only DeviceNet.

If you have a Modicon system that can only do Modbus Plus, you won't be able to use the 160 on a network, you'll have to use a discrete or analog
interface.

Good luck,

Ken Roach
Rockwell Automation Seattle

W

William L. Mostia, Jr

You might look at SST Technologies X-Link network gateways at:

http://www.sstech.on.ca/

They have drivers for Modbus Plus, DF1, and DeviceNet.

There are other manufacturers that make similar boxes.

=================================================
William(Bill) L. Mostia, Jr. PE
Principal Engineer
WLM Engineering Co
Independent I&E Consultant
P.O. Box 1129
Kemah, TX 77565 USA
281-334-3169
E-Mail: [email protected]

These opinions are my own and are offered on the basis of Caveat Emptor.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.