Modbus Plus to Ethernet

S

Scott Barrett

Is there a simple way, using a VB app or some other app to do a conversion from modbus plus to ethernet? We are trying to get some info out of a PLC and up to a network simply. There is a PC in the area where we could do a software based bridge and get it there. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott Barrett

J

James Ingraham

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do here, but Prolinx Gateways makes a Modbus Plus to Ethernet bridge device.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

R

Robert Willis

There are a couple of options to achieve network connections you desire.

Schneider Electric has a 174CEV20030 Modbus Plus to Ethernet Bridge.

Niobrara Research and Development has the MEB Module.

ProSoft has a module that does the same.

Regards
Robert Willis
Square D Company

T

Todd Kirchner

If you are using a new SA85 card and have the driver CD that came with it, you can install the ethernet driver and use it just as would use a Modbus plus to Ethernet Bridge. Your PC needs to be running NT though.

K

Kenton Foster

I believe that the Prolinx bridge is a data concentrator and not a true bridge. For example, I don't believe that you can program through it.

J

Jayaharan C J

Dear Scott Barrett ,

Please check up whether the same device supports Modbus RTU.If it does then things will become much more simpler.You can use either a driver or an OPC server of MODBUS RTU Protocol and connected the device serially through RS232.If you have a RS485 port then a RS232-485 convertor may be required.

In case of modbus plus the interfacing hardware like SA-85 card is unavoidable and it is a costlier option as well....hence try out this alternative..

Best of Luck

Jayaharan C J

T

Todd Kirchner

Scott,

There is an easy software solution that comes with the SA-85 card you need in your computer to connect into the Modbus Plus Network. (All Modbus Plus adapters are bundled with this software). The Driver CD that comes with the card has an Ethernet driver for Windows NT. It gives you the same functionality as the Modbus Plus to Ethernet Bridge supplied by Schnieder. You can use this to make the connection.

As far as VB goes, you just encapsulate a Modbus communication packet inside a TCP/IP Packet. I have some information regarding this if you are interested.

Sincerly,

Todd Kirchner
Sr. Design Engineer
Siemens Dematic
Rapistan Materials Handling Automation Division

G

Greg Goodman

It is not clear to me which of the following you are asking for:

A. Modbus Plus - Modbus/TCP protocol convertor

this implies that all of your ethernet nodes that want to access PLC data are capable of talking Modbus/TCP, and that they talk to a node that can route ethernet messages to the appropriate Modbus Plus node.

this would be non-trivial to write; the bridge has to be both a Modbus/TCP slave to multiple masters, and a Modbus Plus master to at least one PLC. it is not a task particularly suited to VB, and a previous respondent says Schneider provides something like this with the PCI Modbus Plus card.

Note: mapping Modbus/TCP messages to a Modbus Plus node is simple for a trivial Modbus Plus network, but Modbus Plus defines a more complex network routing path than Modbus/TCP does; a complex Modbus Plus network may require a configurable address mapping capability (a la the BM85).

B. PC-based data concentrator

you describe the problem you're trying to solve as the need "to get some info out of a PLC and up to a network simply." put that way, you may be able to solve it with a PC reading data from the PLC and stuffing it into a local database. your other network nodes can access it via ODBC or SQL or whatever. you should be able to use any readily available Modbus Plus driver to get the data via your Modbus Plus adapter, and any of a large number of mechanisms for getting the data into a suitable database.

Regards,

Greg

T

Todd Kirchner

Scott,

There is an easy software solution that comes with the SA-85 card you need in your computer to connect into the Modbus Plus Network. (All Modbus
Plus adapters are bundled with this software). The Driver CD that comes with the card has an Ethernet driver for Windows NT. It gives you the
same functionality as the Modbus Plus to Ethernet Bridge supplied by Schnieder. You can use this to make the connection.

As far as VB goes, you just encapsulate a Modbus communication packet inside a TCP/IP Packet. I have some information regarding this if you are
interested.

Sincerly,

Todd Kirchner
Sr. Design Engineer
Siemens Dematic
Rapistan Materials Handling Automation Division

T
Hi, Try another approach, it is possible to conenct a Lantronix Device Server called a Cobox DR1-IAP. This unit will allow you to connect
to the Modbus port of the PLC and convert to Ethernet. A SCADA driver EG OPC Modbus Ethernet can then be used to link to the VB APP.

Regards
Tim Ricketts

D

Deepak Sharma

Dear sir

I am intresting of the modbus plus to ether net data conversion. I am already Using throug SA-85 - 002 Card using, but i am install for any
no. of local indication HMI (IC2000) in cement plant. please provide the help for conversion for modbus plus to ethernet.

Deepak Sharma

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shinobi Modbus 2
G Modbus 1
W Modbus 6
A Modbus 4
S Modbus 1