MODBUS Radio Network

To connect 82 MODBUS devices, I designed a system with 6 networks EIA-485. All of them arrived to a central server. To connect them I use 6 EGX100 Ethernet gateways.

now I want to eliminate part of the EIA-485 cabling, since part of it goes underground. So I decided to use 6 radios. the seller adviced to use the H8830 wireless MODBUS pulse transceivers.

Now here is my problem: do I need 1 radio or 6 radios at the central site?

I have searched the internet looking for installation guides or design guides on H8830. Starting on the manufacturers site, only found 2 brief documents, none of them solves my question.

Please help.

I see. I understand what you are saying about the 32 devices per radio and also that I would need at least 3 radios.

The datasheet that you mentioned is one of the 2 documents that I found on the internet. For me it is not self explanatory. That's is why I wanted to make sure what it meant.

I assume -since there is no other information- the routing is automatic. In the example application there are 2 hops to go from Building Automation Controller to E5xCxPower Meters.

I have not really considered moving the EGX100 to the network, so it is something I will ponder now. Thanks for the advice. May you help me one more time by telling me if Schneider manufactures wifi bridges?

Routing is automatic. All H8830 devices create one RS485 network so all devices on the RS485 network needs a unique modbus address. Also every H8830 needs a unique modbus address since they also can be used as modbus slaves.

I don't think Schneider has WIFI bridges but you can find industrial and domestic WIFI bridges with point to point capabilities.

Thank you Koen for your help. Where can I get hands on a document who explains how these radios work?

my mail is: [email protected].

Thanks.

> Routing is automatic. All H8830 devices create one RS485 network so all devices on the RS485 network needs a unique
> modbus address. Also every H8830 needs a unique modbus address since they also can be used as modbus slaves.

> I don't think Schneider has WIFI bridges but you can find industrial and domestic WIFI bridges with
> point to point capabilities.