modbus rtu byte size

M

M. Ali

Is it possible to request/reply each byte without start, stop bits and parity? In other words the format of each byte in RTU mode may be different from 11 bit.

M
Asynchronous serial communications can't work without start and stop bits - regardless of protocol (MODBUS or other) - it is in the definition of "Asynchronous serial".

Meir

Assuming RS232 communications, you need the start and stop bits.

To see why, consider how hex FF is sent. It's 11111111. Each 1 is at the same voltage as line idle, so to send FF I make no change in voltage on the line whatsoever. The receiver cannot determine that I have sent a FF without a start bit and a stop bit to frame the data. There are many examples of ambiguity without start/stop bits.

You could use no parity and go with 10 bits, but I wouldn't. You want your device to interoperate, right?

RAH

YES. You can accomplish this by using a synchronous data stream. It is hardware related and the MODBUS protocol should function just the same without any problems.

Hey! These things are controlled by hardware, not software! In software you only get the "clean" bytes anyhow!