Modbus to SLC Comms

A

Arthur H

We have a network of Modbus processors, and need to get a few words of information going to and from each of the modbus processors to the SLC5. I am aware that this should - hmm... should - be quite straight forward, but don't know how long to allow for it or any of the pitfalls. I suspect that the customer will want it done live - i.e. without stopping the modbus network at all.

P

Paulo Bernardo

You several options:
1-Depending from the type from your SLC processor you can change it to a SLC processor with a MODBus RTU port(see Prosoft).
2-If you have a spare slot you can install a MODBus module (RTU or PLUS)(Prosoft again).
You have to stop the SLC at least one time to insert the module or change the CPU, note that you can not increase the SLC memory online so you have to evalute your needs in terms of data table, so that you may do all the canges once!!!
I do not think you have to stop the modbus network, but this depends wht type and how it is implemented.Rockwell will do it easily.

I have been looking in to a product that I saw in a trade magazine, Check out www.fieldserver.com
they have several different protocol bridges that look interesting. I use the Prosoft solution at several sites and once set up they work fine. They are not real easy to set up though. There is ladder programming involved and memory configuration to do. The Prosoft documentation is not real helpful in getting things set up.

smiller

Smiller,

The Prosoft modules that require ladder are direct in-rack communication modules, and the Fieldservers are protocol converters, which typically don't require ladder. Prosoft has a line of products called ProLinx Communication Gateways, which are a better comparison to the Fieldserver devices. The ProLinx modules also do not require ladder.

As with any new, or unfamiliar hardware, you will have a learning curve, and I agree that while the Prosoft documentation is very detailed, it can be a little overwhelming. They also offer quickstart guides, which aid in the setup of their modules.

-CH

Equustek Solutions Inc offers a DH+/DH-485 or DF1 conversion solutions to Modbus. Typically the DF1 module (DL4000-DMX) is used if you want to connect to only on CH0 of a SLC. If you wish to be on the DH+ or DH-485 network (depending on the SLC you have) then the DL3500 is the platform you need.

Visit http://www.equustek.com

They are smaller and less expensive than Prolinx or Fieldserver solutions. They are easy to setup using our Windows Based configuration software. They can be either masters or slaves on the Modbus Network.

Good Luck,
Andrew