ModbusRTU over US internal telephone system

J

James R Collins

My hardware has Modbus Capabilities and my client wishes to access this data over his telephone system. He intends to run software on a remote computer which is connected to the internal telephone system via a modem. A second modem will be required at the remote end and has to be interfaced with my hardware. Can anyone advise on which hardware will enable this remote access.

A
There are two ways to do it. You can treat it just like any other pots system as long as the internal PBX isn't completely digital. You can also use a leased-line type modem from data-linc or telenetics and just run two twisted-pairs from your equipment to his. This would be the best way since there is no dialing up and you don't need to waste 2 extensions. You can use the same cables as your phone system, just jump them together bypassing the PBX.

L
A good question - but one to be wary of - dial-up lines can become a huge "support liability". Make sure your liability stops after demo'ing the system and training the user.

First, I'd suggest you buy good external modems - expect to pay many hundred $$ each.

Have ALL the same brand & model so you don't have double or triple work to support. Especially avoid a "we'll buy ours - 'they' can buy their
own" situation. Buy 2 the same, test them sitting next to each other and carefully document every setting or problem you have.

If there is only 1 remote phone number involved you could even get a modem which can be internally programmed to dial a fixed number &
connect when activated. Because such modems often offer "security features" such as password or dial-back you probably can use this to justify the added expense to your customer (ie: no unauthorized person will be able to easily dial into the remote site).

Be warned that some modems CANNOT support an 11-bit async char - such as 9600,8,e,1. They only support a 10-but async char so parity can only be
used with 7,e,2 - but even then I've seen older commercial modems which cannot handle 8,n,1 (binary data with 8-data bits and no parity). For
example, I had to work with one which claimed binary support, but a particular 2-byte binary sequence (^A + something else) would flip it
unconditionally back to command-line mode. So either make sure your modems fully support 11-bit async chars, or plan to use Modbus/ASCII which is all data converted to 7-bit printable hexadecimal chars.

Finally, I'd make sure there is no better alternative based on TCP/IP and the customer's "other" systems. You may find that (after talking to the dreaded "IT" department) that they already have a way to access the remote site by direct TCP/IP. Avoiding the dialing issue this way will likely cost more up front, but cost less each month in infra-structure and especially support.

Best Regards

Lynn August Linse, Senior IA Application Engineer
15353 Barranca Parkway, Lantronix Inc, Irvine CA 92618
[email protected] www.lantronix.com
Tel: (949)279-3969 Fax: (949)453-7152
Get Plugged-In to the Lantronix quarterly solutions magazine
- subscribe today at www.lantronix.com/plugged-in