Modicon Compact RTU

A

Anonymous

I'm talking here about SCHNEIDER product range. As I know, until now the only suitable product range for RTU is Compact.

Well, I'm wondering WHY???

I mean RTU is basically for data collection, right?? Then why can't the other ranges, such as Micro, Premium, Momentum, become an RTU??

Thx

A
I don't have as much experience with the Micro or Premium, but the Momentum makes an excellent RTU. My last company used them extensively in smaller applications. They are especially good in a dial-up environment since they support the XMIT block natively whereas in the Compact it is a loadable. They are a little light in the memory department so if you are logging a lot of data between downloads, you might want something else. The Compact also supports the DLOG block to write data directly to a PCMCIA card where in the Momentum you need to write a lot more logic to do the logging.

The bottom line is that the Compact will get you up and running more quickly and easily, but if you are a good enough programmer, it's not the only choice.

Andrew Ward
[email protected]

Hi

The RTU means Remote Terminal Unit.
All the Schneider PLC can be RTU.
You can collect data from the PLC using Modbus RTU protocol.

Regards
Andrzej
www.modbus.pl

M
This is mainly because COMPACT can be purchased with extended temperature range - a feature that is particularly important for an RTU installed in harsh field conditions (not necessarily in a building populated by humans - where temperature is controlled).

Meir

As far as I know they can be an RTU. The marketing may direct the customer to Compact but I dont see why you cannot do the same thing with Momentum.

Dave