Modicon Concept Programming Software

B

B Kraus

I am currently looking at converting a Modicon 984 ladder program to IEC Concept ladder.

What are the positive/negative characteristics of Concept that you have noticed?

Are there any items that I should be aware of?

How reliable is online editing with Concept?

How does Concept "scan time" relate to 984 ladder "scan time"?

The positive characteristics are that you can do anything you want with the IEC languages, the negative is the same, some times you can get caught up in a simple task until you get up to speed with all of the functions. Make sure that the proccesor you are going to convert is big enough. Going from simple ladder to IEC programing eats up a bunch of memory, especialy if you enable upload. A lot of the sites that we upgraded were Quantum 113-02 CPUs running modsoft, that were not big enough when converted to Concept IEC. There are no problems with online editing that I am aware of.

B

Bob Peterson

> I am currently looking at converting a Modicon 984 ladder program to IEC Concept ladder.
>
> What are the positive/negative characteristics of Concept that you have noticed?
>
> Are there any items that I should be aware of? <

You should be aware the syntax is totally different, although similar. Most IEC instruction require the instruction itself be enabled or the rung just does not work. In 984LL, no enable usually shuts off the rest of the network, rather than just not solving it.

> How reliable is online editing with Concept? <

I have not had any problems.

> How does Concept "scan time" relate to 984 ladder "scan
> time"? <

Depends on the model. Probably pretty comparable, although if scan time is a big issue with you you might want to take a close look at how Concept scans program blocks multiple times in a scan as opposed to the way a 984 does it.

F

frank_verboven

Hi,
I compleetly agree with Tonster:
Use a big processor 534 especiale with the upload feature.
I worked with concept for about 4 years, didn't saw a lot of strange things.Once over version 2.1 online changes are no problem anymore.
Only strange thing I have seen (version 2.5) every now and then is if you are using a lot of global data, sometimes downloading online changes doesn't work anymore ,Are he stops doing the download half way tru.I think the used global data has to do with this.
The used global data increasses a lot if you do a lot of offline change,are doing a lot of online downloads.
What I do then is run the optimizer and sometime increase the global data a bit.

I am working in automation business during of 3 years. The used programs is Concept 2.5 and EFB Toolkit. I programme Modicon TSX Quantum with IEC HSBY for automation of oil pump station.

My EFB library is allow the:
- process the 2000 discrete inputs;
- process the 500 analog inputs;
- process the any number outputs;
- the new signal can describe with HMI without stopping and downloading project in CPU;
- the new equipment can describe with HMI without stopping and downloading project in CPU;

I have one instance DFB for alike equipment.
The free data memory about 50% with HSBY.
Timescan is 150ms with HSBY (on the 140 CPU 43412A).