Modicon Micro 84 control software

D

Dan Virgilio

I purchased a Modicon trainer includes Micro 84 combo power supply and controller module, to be used to train and learn PLC application and programming, I'm looking for software program to interface from a pc to this unit, the person who sold this unit to me indicated that I will need a computer, rs-232 cable and Taylor programming software to operate, I searched the net and all my sources to find this Taylor program or similar but no luck, can anyone put me on the right track. Thanks

D

Dan Virgilio

The site is worthless, if you try to subscribe the system crash, if you look for modicon software the page shows not found, a total nightmare, thanks anyway.

C

Crystal Majercik

Dan, Modicon bought TAYLOR Industrial Software located at #1002, 10045-111 Street; Edmonton, Canada T5K 2M5 PH: 403-482-7547, FX: 403-488-8032. For information on TAYLOR ProWORXPLUS among others, try above or contact Modicon Customer Service. Note that Modicon is a brand carried by Schneider-Legrand at www.modicon.com Hope this helps...

The software you're looking for is long gone. I'm not even sure if we can get it as a Modicon distributor. i will look into it for you though. The Micro 84 is ancient, from somewhere back in the 80s. I'd watch what you buy on Ebay, as most of what they're selling is old obsolete stuff. I have seen some Momentum which is a current product up there though.

CK

B

Blunier, Mark

These were often supplied in PLC training classes, and they came with Modsoft Lite for programming. You may be able to get that from Modicon or your Modicon rep. Of course you can also use the full blown Modsoft program as well. I'm not sure if they are still selling Modsoft. My rep told me about 6 months ago that Modicon was going to quit selling the Modsoft. I don't know if Concept will program it. Mark Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the company.

The site (http://public.modicon.com) is hard to navigate but if you keep looking you will find a program called Prowork Nxt ver 2.10. This program is replacing Modsoft. I just downloaded the Demo Version which allows programming upto 25 rungs.

D

Duggan, Edmond (IndSys, GEFanuc, TCP)

Hi List, Modicon did not buy Taylor Industrial Software. Please look at the ProWORX FAQ on http://public.modicon.com/ for the official statement from Modicon/Schneider Electric. Crystal is right in that all support/request/inquiries should got to Modicon, and I'm sure they will be happy to help out. "Taylor" have gone through several changes since I started in Aug 1996, including two purchases and a relocation in Edmonton. Edmond Duggan, Application Consultant ___________________________________ GE Fanuc Software Phone : 780.420.2117 Fax: 780.420.2049 email: [email protected]

M

Mark Blunier

I previously said that the modsoft would work with the Micro 84. I don't think that is correct, as I was thinking about the Modicon micro that is a brick PLC. I have a Gould Micro 84. It is programmed by a Gould Micro 84 Programmer, also labeled the Modicon P370. It is a hand held programmer. Mark Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the company.

R

Ron Stapleton

The real problem you will have is that the Micro84 requires a J375 computer interface between the PC and the controller, those were very hard to find years ago the last one I purchased was via the Modicon Service department (about $500.00) 8 years ago, so even if you find the software without the J375 you are still dead in the water.

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply, this unit have a module that has a RJ45 outlet, I assumed that this connect the unit through a cable to a rs-232 port, the unit that you indicate J375 it goes between the rj45 and the computer ??? please advise. Dan

R

Ron Stapleton

Dan, you are correct the J375 goes between the computer and the PLC (protocol converter ascii to modbus), it has the RJ45 connectors on it to connect to the one on the PLC and a db25 for the RS232 cable for the laptop/desktop. Did the demo you bought have I/O modules? The Micro84 also required a termination plug that was inserted into the last module or directly pluged into the the PLC if no modules were attached, if you do not have it the Micro84 will have a fatal fault and never let you put it in the run mode. Hope this helps Ron

Ok Ron, the unit I purchased had the processor, the power module and also 2 input modules, with the small termination plug, so I probably need to obtain the J375, you see when I see the RJ45 on the bottom of the processor module I thought this is just to connect the Processor to the PC computer, o well I have to start looking for this interface unit. Dan

B

Blunier, Mark

The port that you are looking at is for P370 programmer to plug into. The J375 allows the Micro 84 to communicate as a modbus slave over RS232-C. Mark Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the company.

R

Reinhart Hauguth

Hmm, seems to my recollection that the J375 interface was used to connect the Micro to a P190 programmer. (With the appropriate tape, of
course.) At one time I did some programming of the Micro with the P190. That worked very well. Never did investigate if the J375 could be
used with Modsoft but I don't see that flavor of Micro as being a supported PLC in Modsoft. Hope that you don't end up using the hand-held
programmer. That really is a very poor programming solution.
CHEERS