Monitoring the leakage in water distribution network


Thread Starter

Richard Lim

I am a system engineer. I would like looking for some information regarding the subject above.

Q1)What’s the instrument should I use and how it’s going to detect the leakage in the water distribution network ?

Q2)How can I decide in which location should I install the instrument ?

Q3)What type of RTU should I using to sent the signal back to control room ?

Rohit Chandak

Dear Sir, There are various flow measurement devices which can be used for Leakage detection in the country rn or process piping. Some of the equipments that can be ideal for this applications are as follows :- VERABAR - Averging Pitot Tube Hoffer - Insertion Type Turbine Flow Meters Both the devices can solve your purpose. Regarding location is concerned it all depends on the pipeline distance & hence would request you to let us have the pipe layout to determine the locations. But generally if the line is small & straight then a meter at the inlet as well as the outlet would be good enogh to detect the flow & if the flow at inlet & outlet doesn't match then their is posibility of leakages. Above is in general & to have further details kindly let us have your address.

Mike Wiltshire

Dear Richard, I am an Operations Engineer with the North of Scotland Water Authority in Inverness Scotland. We have recently developed a system of flow and pressure logging using battery powered Kent Aquamaster meters, Radcom Multilog loggers with GSM comms devices on board. These are some 85 miles from my office in Inverness at at a remote settlement called Achiltibuie. These loggers call my office three times a day and download flow and pressure info. logged every 2 minutes. This then gives me an output detailing per capita consumptions, total zone consumption, max, min and average flows throughout a 24hr period. This system has now been installed for about 9 months and has produced capital savings of £320,000 and revenue savings of £15,000 per year. Interested , give me an email and we can talk in greater detail. Bye for now Mike Wiltshire [email protected]

I recognised the method and instruments Mike Wiltshire is using and it is one of the more advance technology NOSWA is currently using (though the English Water Comapnies have been using them for years). The loggers are normally situated where it is strategically important, such as outlet of a reservoir that serves a single DMA, low-lying area that accumulates pressure, locations where there are frequent burst reports, high parts and low parts of the site to observe which area runs out of water first if burst occurs. From the data captured network models can be constructed (WATNET, Infoworks) and calibrated. The model can predict the effect of reducing leakage within the system and from these results you can decide your future operational route, ie. install PRV, new mains or less water abstraction. Please mail me if you have any other questions at:
[email protected]