Moore APACS / Wonderware Integration

K

Kenneth Poteete

I am looking at doing an upgrade of an old Wonderware system that is connected to an existing Moore APACS DCS. The workstations are Windows 3.1, and the Wonderware is version 5. We need to go to WinXP Pro and Wonderware 9. I have a lot of experience with Wonderware, and I can handle the application conversion and any I/O driver configuration, but I understand that special hadrware is needed to interface Wonderware to APACS. Could someone fill in the blanks for me with some details, or direct me to a site that includes some information?

P

Pascal Poirier

"Moore" APACS DCS is now "Siemens" APACS+.
Wonderware HMI for APACS (APACS+ ProcessSuite) is now on the "Mature" list for Siemens. No new licence will be sold by the end of 2006 (i think...) and the support will end by 2010... Siemens is now pushing PCS 7/APACS+ OS.
You may have a look at Siemens APACS+ web site:
http://automation.usa.siemens.com/process/product/paapacs.html As you can contact Siemens technical service for your specific application.

Good luck,
Pascal

First you need the Module Bus Interface(MBI) or Module Net Interface(MNI)Card & the driver, migrate the cards from the old PCs to the new. The MBI/MNI cards come both in IESA & PCI, so you need to make sure the new PC has the correct slot connections. The Process Suite CDs contain Wonderware Intouch 7.11 and the drivers to connect to the APACS+ system (APACS API). Siemens Energy & Automation has purchased Moore Products and still sells the process suite software to uprade existing systems.

Good luck!

Siemens APACS can be talked to using Matrikons OPC server for APACS I have not used it but have spoken to others who say it is easier to work with than the Siemens APACS OPC server.

You can then use theOPCLink client from Wonderware to access the data from the Matrikon OPC server.

Good luck.

V

Vance Newman

I think that your best solution is to migrate from Wonderware to Siemens WinCC (PCS7) HMI using an ethernet OPC interface to APACS. ICONICS HMI www.Iconics.com will do the job quite nicely with third party OPC drivers. The OPC will give you a completly OPEN Interface to the APACS for future openness and ICONICS is completely OPC based and has strong microsoft support. Contact myself if you need further support.

Vance - D&V Technologies
Total Process Controls Solution
905-962-1489

B

Brian Branton - Air Liquide

PLEASE NOTE: an earlier response mentioned that you can take the exisitng MBI cards and use them on your new system. This is true as long as the new motherboard has an ISA slot (as mentioned). You can purchase new PCI MBI cards, though YOU WILL NEED TO DO FIRMWARE UPGRADES ON ALL YOUR ACMs, an expensive proposition; and Siemens recommends doing it to all IO modules too.

ProcessSuite Vision is not just Intouch. Modifying a project created with ProcessSuite Vision to run under Intouch is prohibited by the Siemens/Moore license.

The only upgrade path available is to use the Siemens DBA tool to compile the 4-Mation code into a PCS7/APACS OS.

This is no more then Siemens BS. The Program you create is yours and can be run under intouch without having to make any changes.

The Siemens DBA tool takes your existing 4-Mation code and compiles it directly into a PCS7 OS (WinCC) project. OPC is an open interface but it will not give you the full functionality of the intergrated DCS (ProcessSuite + APACS) that you had previously. You will then need to completely engineer the top end HMI yourself as you will be left with a PLC/SCADA solution.

J

Jerry Wenzel, Trident Automation, Inc

This may be to late, but we created a new HMI for APACS based on the latest Wonderware products (InTouch 9.5, InSQL 9.0, Active Factory 9.2. It is in 10 plants now and scheduled for 50+ more. Please see InSightHMI.com for more information.

Best Regards,
Jerry Wenzel

A

A nony mouse

Incorrect - while the application you create is yours, the software it runs on is not. As with Microsoft and many other software products. You buy a license to run the software (in this case ProcessSuite), not the software itself. Read your licensing agreements.

H

Hrishikesh Joshi

There is one solution use a industrial grade PC with P4 processor having IDE 80 GB and ISA and PCI slot which is available from Advantech USA .

Install windows XP and use the virtual server 2004 of microsoft can be downloaded free from microsoft website load windows NT/Windows 3.1 in Virtual harddisk install 4 mation and DDE also install your application and run this will operate as the original windows 3.1 software.

Windows XP does not support DDE as the DDE is made obsolete by windows XP software due to the venerability so you can use OPC for connection
with the APACS HARDWARE this can work i have not tried it but can help you . The Matrikon OPC support Moore Apacs http://www.matrikonopc.com/portal/downloads.aspx?dID=50 down load trial and try

W

Wassim Daoud

Have you considered using OPC for this? with the OPC Server for APACS you will be able to integrate your APACS with Wonderware. You will need an OPC Server for this and you can leverage the OPC Client that comes with wonderware to connect to the OPC Server. here is a link to the OPC Server for APACS http://is.gd/fKPnP

Hope this was helpful

Wassim Daoud
Global Solutions Architect
www.MatrikonOPC.com