Moving a large array

R

R. Clark

I have a project where we need to move a large (500 elements) array from an external source to an Ethernet based CL5550/L1 processor. The array is sourced from one OPC server and we wish to transfer it to the Contrologix via Matrikon's Data Manager and RSLinx. Having no luck with RSLinx as I cannot specify the Array as a single tag. If I substitute Kepware's OPC Server for Contrologix, it has the syntax for an array as a single tag and I can read/write via Matrikon's Data Manager (OPC Bridge) OK. I can't even see the array as a single tag using RS OPC Client. Is there no way to accomplish my task with RSLinx. If it's the difference between Kepware and building 500 tags, Kepware is going to win.

S

Steve Myres, PE

Why are you fighting so hard to avoid using Kepware?? To me, it stands to reason that a company that lives or dies based on the quality of their OPC servers, and not PLC's, drives, pushbuttons, etc. etc. will make the best OPC servers.

Please do not misconstrue. I want to use Kepware, having found them to be very effective, robust, and easy to use. As the New Kid in the outfit, I have to be careful to speak with data when I challenge the accepted status quo that Rockwell Products make the sun rise, cure cancer, and make their users virile, manly men. I'm having trouble because I have a non-RS solution that works and have even got the local RS tech rep to state RSLinx won't work. I wanted to cover all the bases (belts & suspenders). Lack of any technical response seems to point only one way.