MPI Cable

S

Srini

We have a S5 95U PLC but no MPI cable... i want to know if there are any ways of connecting this PLC to the PC.

To connect to the S5 PLC's you require a RS232 to TTY converte.

You cannot use the MPI cable used for the S7 PLC's

the Siemens part number for the TTY converter is 6ES5 734 1BD20

Hope this helps!!

Hi my friend!

I'm from Greece! If I good understand you want to connect the 95U PLC to your PC. It is able to achieve via PG port of your PLC. There is onboard port PG that's connected on RS232 port on your PC.

If you think that the suggesting answer is correct then send me e-mail to send back to you a detailed connection diagram.

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

M

Michael Griffin

The S5-95U PLC does not support the MPI protocol.

--

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada

Hi,

S5 plcs are having a tty programming port (0-20 mA or 4-20 mA, I'm not sure). So you need just an rs232 to tty converter for the physical connection and a proper software at your pc to communicate with your plc.

Some S5 95U also have a L2 port better known as Profibus. But connecting the L2 bus to a pc is much more expensive.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Konni ([email protected])

D

Daniel Chartier

Hello Srini;

The S5-95U does not use an MPI connection, that is only for S7 CPUs. The programming port uses current loop, so you would need a TTY to RS232 converter cable. Siemens proposes the 6ES5-734-1BD20 cable for thisd purpose (you will need a DB9 to DB25 adapter to commect it to the Com Port).

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier