mud level measurement

R

Ravindra

Hi Members, have you tried measurement of the mud level in the sugar factory clarifiers?

In the sugar industry we will use clarifiers to sepaRATE THE CLEAR JUICE FROM THE MUD. The mud will settel on the bottom and clear juice will float on the top of the mud. I want to measure the mud level thickness. Can any body this kind of experiment please inform me by email.
[email protected]

Hi

We make a mud level transducer. Mud is used in cooling applications for deep well drilling. If the mud level runs too low the very expensve drilling devices will burn without lubrication.

We build cutom sizes other than the 8" float on a 1" tube. Out-put is resistive or 4 - 20 or controlled by our microprocessor.

We only need to set the sp.gr. of the float to sink in juice - float on mud and we are all set.

The mud device is not on line - but the smaller continuous transducer is. check it out at
www.almegcontrols.com - go to products - continuous. Contact us direct.

Got to go - thanks Bob Hogg

Thanks for your reply. we want online measurement . We want to monitor and control continiously this application.

Could you please advise me , ho is making on line mud measurement instruments.

Regards,
Ravindra

There are a nbumber of devices which may be able to do your job.

Some are based on the sonar principle. The head is stationary and slightly submerged. These work if the interface is very distinct.

The only other stationary unit is RF but can't be used if there is a rake in the vessel unless you can mount to the rake itself.

Most other types use an automatic winch interlocked with the rake so that it sends the detector down between rake passes. Several different types of sensors are used. Optical sensors are limited to low solids concentrations. Sound attenuation sensors operate up to higher concentrations. Differential conductivity and natural radioactivity are also used. For heavy distinct interfaces even simple buoyancy gauges or viscosity baskets will work.

Some units can only provide a simple level of the interface, others can provided a complete profile of solids concentrations vs depth.

There are potentially other ways of doing this but the ones mentioned are readily available. What is most suited for the application will depend on the fluid and solids characteristics, temperature, solids distribution, vessel geometry, rake profile and speed of rotation and interface characteristics. It will aslo depend
on user requirements. For example do you need information about the settling zone or just the bed level? Reliability is a key factor in selection.

If you do a search for sludge level meter you should find most of them. I have experience with all types. If you want some advice and recommendations send me some details privately and I can be more specific about what might be best for your application and maybe recommend some manufacturers/vendors.
[email protected]

Vince