My new home with underground water storage

T

Trevor H.

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a house in Fort McMurray Alberta (gasp) that depends on water delivery/storage and have already found out first hand the joy of running out... not fun. I have since learnt a little bit about the system but I think it could be improved and I would like your help. Currently the pump is only on a breaker, there is no float switch for it and nor is there one for when the driver fills up the tank (he waits for the gyser then shuts down).

How hard is it to put in a switch for the pump after the fact and what is the best way to nodify the driver that the tank is full? (I did read the bouy and stick method.)

Thank you,
Trevor

Tom,
An ultrasonic would be ideal but this tank is probably buried 1 to 2 meters below the surface and hard to get at.

Trevor,
You could place a level switch assembly or transmitter on the suction piping of the pump. This would allow you to select the full level (put a light near the fill station to indicate to the delivery person the tank is full) -- say 90% (I used to live in Grande Prairie and our temperature values were equivalent -- the exhaust thru a geyser is hazardous since the build up of ice in the vent tube will cause problems with low suction pressures or implosion).

Put another alarm at the refill spot (this depends on how long it takes to get a refill to the tank and your usage rate) so you can order a new water load.

For help with equipment contact Muis controls Edmonton (Bill Muis is the owner -- I worked with him in the late 70's--)

Have fun
Dennis