MySql

J

J-F Portala

Dear listers,

I try to use PHP, MySql and Apache server to make process data management. I used Access and I had a number of problems of compliance with different
versions of Windows, and also performance. I can't use a database like oracle because of the price . That's why I try with MySql.

I have a problem when I try to read more than 10000 records on a table of 50000 records.
the following command
Select * from table where ident < 10000 ;
gives me the error message:
ERROR 1030: Got error 127 from table handler

I think that the configuration of Mysql does not allow enough memory to answer my request, but I don't find what are the parameters I can change.

thank you for any help
J-F Portala
[email protected]

R
> I try to use PHP,MySql and Apache server to make process data management.
> I used Access and I had a number of problems of compliance with different
> versions of Windows, and also performance.
> I can't use a database like oracle because of the price .
> That's why I try with MySql.

Access is like everything else in the office package, each version is incompatible;-) But to be fair to ACCESS, you cannot really compare it to MySQL. ACCESS, using it's native database engine JET, is a file based database designed
for the local user to keep a bit of data. Used in that mode it is pretty damm fast. But when you start sharing your database files over a network, there is a serious performance hit. When several programs are querying over a net at the same
time, performance suffers, and this is were you should switch to an RDMS. An RDBMS is generally quite expensive, but your choice of MySQL is IMHO a good low cost option for automation requirements. The Apache/MySQL/PHP combination has an excellent reputation, especially when the MySQL/PHP modules are used for apache. A lot of well trafficked websites use this combination.

It is worth noting that a technical support contract for MySQL is very cheap (something like $200), and is reported to be pretty good.

> I have a problem when I try to read more than 10000 records
> on a table of 50000 records.
> the following command
> Select * from table where ident < 10000 ;
> gives me the error message:
> ERROR 1030: Got error 127 from table handler
>
> I think that the configuration of Mysql does not allow enough memory
> to answer my request, but I don't find what are the parameters I can change.
>

Certainly there is no fundamental problem, MySQL was originally conceived for handling HUGE quantities of data very quickly.

It may be that you simply do not have enougth resources to handle the request, but it could also be a bug. I have had problems with MySQL and found out that the version that was shipped as standard on my Linux Distro was an early beta, not the current stable release. On windows, the downloadable binary is always the beta (dev) version, the binary of the stable release is only available to people who have a support contract, allthougth there is the source so you could compile.

Of course if you are familiar with a de-bugger, you could always install the source and run it in a de-bugger, that way you could quickly locate the source of this and any future problems.