NEC Wiring Standards

P

Paul O'Keeffe

I'm looking for the NEC colour codes for cable when connected to a 3 phase supply plus neutral and single phase supply plus neutral.

R

Rob Westerfield

> I'm looking for the NEC colour codes for cable when connected to a 3 phase supply plus neutral and single phase supply plus neutral.

The NEC doesn't specify a full color code. The neutral (grounded conductor) must be white or light gray. Insulated grounding condustors (earth) must be either green or green with one or more yellow stripes. Phase conductors for 3 phase ststems must be identified, but the method of identification is not specified. One exception is that the "high leg" of a 3 phase, 4 wire delta system must be marked with orange where ever it terminates.

M

Mike Hubbell

> I'm looking for the NEC colour codes for cable when connected to a 3 phase supply plus neutral and single phase supply plus neutral.

The NFPA79 standard provides color codes though it may not cover every situation and it like other standards has some room for interpretation.

Mike Hubbell

The NEC doesn't specify a full color code. The neutral (grounded conductor) must be white or light gray. Insulated grounding condustors (earth) must be either green or green with one or more yellow stripes. Phase conductors for 3 phase ststems must be identified, but the method of identification is not specified. One exception is that the "high leg" of a 3 phase, 4 wire delta system must be marked with orange where ever it terminates.