Need a Enclosure protected against IMMERSION

G

Gil

Hello,
I need to house an instrument immersed in water (1~2 meters) for what may be a prolonged period of time.

The enclosure will need to be bolted to a cylinder (33" bore) and it will have to have a knock out for a sensor installed on this same cylinder. The cable from the sensor will be connected to the instrument inside the enclosure.

So I may need a custom enclosure and some way of sealing knock outs. Don't know where to look.

Anybody with experience that can help or if you know a company, please drop me a note;

Thank you
Gil

Gil, just about any jobbing machine shop should be able to do that for you. They can make a turned barrell for a housing with end caps sealed with O'rings. Material can be Stainless steel, Delrin or aluminium. Bored through Swagelock
fittings with Teflon ferrules work well as cable glands provided the cable is reasonably round.

Vince

S
For an off the shelve enclosure solution, Vynckier makes a NEMA 6P (submersible) rated enclosure. There are 6P cable glands available, I just can't remember the manufactures. I sure Vynckier could help you out with this.

C

Clark Southoff

Gil:
You didn't specify the environment: Fresh, Salt water, sewage, oil, gasoline or bilge water. A schedule 40 pipe should do what you need. Any good nachine shop can make suitable end caps with O ring seals. Double o ring seals may make for greater comfort factor.

See Parker Pack Seal for sizes.
Kemlon makes heavy duty seals for up to 20 ksi and 200 C.But that us way over kill.

Watch your electromotive series so that you do not run the risk of electrochemical corrosion.
Mount your sensors in suitable pipe and have it welded to the main container.

You may wish to purge the container with dry nitrogen to get all the moisture out.

best regards
Clark Southoff