Need an inexpensive controller with analog I/O

D

dirt cheap

ok so this is one those posts you either love or hate to read on here... I don't post very many so forgive me either way.

I have been digging for a simple programmable controller that has 2 analog inputs and 1 analog output (prefer +/- 10VDC or 0-10VDC for both in and out)... oh yeah and it has to be dirt cheap.

The closest thing I have found is this:
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_multi_family.asp?MultiFamilyId=39&Trail=158&TrailType=Main

which is the TECO SG2 V3... If I buy the SG2-12HT-D with the optional SG2-2AO I get what I want... but it's over double my price range of ~$100.

I've looked at a few other options like squared twido, tri-plc etc. (board-level), but am having a tough time. please help me before I give google a melt down... I'm near breaking out some circuits I've done in the past using comparator logic and MOP's to get this done for $10... help me.

oh BTW, I'll take an additional analog out and a couple digital I/O too...bonus if you have something that has those. Again, I'm looking for something for about $100, the TECO would work great if they had one blasted analog out (or 2) as standard on the base unit.

thanks in advance for the help.

If you are about to start designing comparator circuits you should look at the Arduino. It's a simple to use microcontroller platform with free programming software that you can essentially program in a C language.

Before you cringe about using C, there are built in libraries for accessing analog IO, so I don't think you will have issues if you can do basic programming. You can probably find tons of example code online using the analog ports because there are tons of amateurs using it for robotics and other hobbies.

Cost for a starter board (which is compact and deployable) is about $30-$40.

KEJR

I used the Tri-PLC once before and it was ok. Simple to program and dirt cheap like you're requesting.

Still $100 seems very low and I don't think you're gonna get anything other than an OEM board-based type device.

HTH

S
Automation Direct has a version of the Click with 4 DI, 4 DO, 2 AI and 2 AO (unfortunately only 4-20 or 0-5V) for $129. Now I've never used one of these so I can't really vouch for it personally. I've seen the programming software and it has kind of a PLC's For Dummies feel to it, but for $129 what do you want?

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units/C0-02DD2-D

for the model with source outputs.

(Omit the space in "Controllers". I can't seem to get it to go away when posting.)

D
I can handle C no problem. I've look at the Arduina today...I'll def keep it in mind...looks like A LOT of people like to make toys out of these things... could be what I need.

D
some how I missed that on plcdirect when I was digging... I might be able to make it work by putting a simple voltage divider on the analog input signals, and a simple op-amp (2x for unipolar... or a variation for 4x bi-polar)...on the analog outputs... I've done some of that in the past... may be time to do it again.

I AM STILL OPEN TO IDEAS IF ANY PASSER BY'S HAVE OTHER OPTIONS FOR ME TO ENTERTAIN.

Thanks in advance for more ideas.

P

Patrick Lansdorf

Hi,

FATEK PLCs will give you allot of bang/buck. The small ones should be in your price range...

just my 2 cents

Patrick Lansdorf

C
If I recall the GE Fanuc low cost PLC I played with also had analog. The software was brand new and a mess, transliterated from the Chinese. But they may have that sorted out by now. Once they get a little better at it, China may raise Hell in the vastly overpriced PLC market. They are held in check as long as they "partner" with existing Automation vendors, but a pure Chinese Automation Direct clone, with the right people on this end, could make a big difference.

Regards
cww