need help with a HSP56 MicroModem COM2

R

ruben dario

I really need the exact driver, it could be sent via email. or a exact site. please tell me where can find a driver for a HSP56 MicroModem COM2 for linux. thank you very much.

K
Hello... Your modem is in fact a WinModem and as such requires the Win9x OS to be present. With this type of modem, operating parameters (Comx, IRQ and base address) are assigned by the OS during system start up. As well... data compression and error correction algorithms are not supported in the modem hardware, those functions are off loaded to the main system CPU. This modem will not run with any version of Red Hat (unless something has changed of late that I am not aware of). As to other versions of Linux... I doubt it. Again... unless things have changed... for a modem to work with Linux it must have the ability to set its self to a standard base address and to a standard IRQ. FYI... those settings are... Com1 = IRQ 4 & 03F8 Base Address, Com2 = IRQ 3 & 02F8 Base Address, Com3 = IRQ 4 & 03E8 Base Address and Com4 = IRQ 3 & 02E8 Base Address. Best Regards... Rick Kelly Chief Electrical Technician Natural Cuts, Cheese Operations Kraft Canada Inc. [email protected] (613) 537-8069 (V) (613) 537-8044 (F)

C

Chris Kellock

The reason they call it a Winmodem is because most ofthe processing has been offloaded from the card to the operating system and the main processor. I have a winmodem in my Windows computer, and it uses a good bit of CPU. I've never seen any winmodems where you could get Linux drivers. I had an old external Hayes modem on my Linux box (disassembled now). Chris

C

Curt Wuollet

Try poking around at linmodems.org. There are a few where the manufacturer has released enough info to write a driver. Winmodems are only about half a modem and do the other half in software. Since this software is typically only written for Windows and most vendors won't release info for the Linux folks to write an equivalent, they are pretty much useless for Linux. They aren't really that splendid for Windows either as they use processor cycles that are better spent elsewhere. If your time and aggrevation are worth anything it's best to get a real modem. I've found that most system vendors will provide one if you call them out for selling you half a modem. I absolutely refuse to buy any Winjunk. Printers that are useless without Windows are common also. This falls in the monopoly abuse catagory as an attempt to lock customers in to a Windows only world. They plead cost savings but I have always been able to find OS independant peripherals at the same or lower prices. It's a scam and you've been ripped off. Regards cww

A

Alex Pavloff

Curt: We've got 1GHz PCs that aren't do anything half the time. The fact of the matter is that no one need more than around a 400MHz PC right now to do work processing and browse the web. Making dumb-as-rocks printers and modems that offload their tasks to the CPU allow the companies to make cheaper printers and modems. An HP Deskjet 500 series ran for around $300... now you can pick up the lower end host-based printers for less than a third of that. Host based modems are the same thing. All you need for a host-based modem is a little bit of software and a place to plug in the phone cord. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, and quite frankly, the customer who goes to Best Buy to pick up a home computer to browse the web with, do their finances, and play Solitaire is better off for this, because they spent less and got more. Now, on the flip side, technical users like you and I end up with a bunch of companies that don't want to support their "hardware" for "fringe" operating systems. We're not their target market. We've got to be careful and actually buy real modems, and real printers, and surprise surprise, be willing to eat the costs needed to buy real hardware, as opposed to software masquerading as hardware. But its not a scam, and its not one of Microsoft's grand plan to rule the world. It's just a logical path that's been followed by companies selling hardware to typical consumers.

C

Curt Wuollet

Alex Pavloff wrote: > We've got 1GHz PCs that aren't do anything half the time. The fact of the > matter is that no one need more than around a 400MHz PC right now to do work > processing and browse the web. Making dumb-as-rocks printers and modems > that offload their tasks to the CPU allow the companies to make cheaper > printers and modems. An HP Deskjet 500 series ran for around $300... now > you can pick up the lower end host-based printers for less than a third of > that. But you can also pick up the lower end real printers for that . The system manufacturers pocket the savings and the consumer is stuck with junk which prevents him from successfully using any other OS. In commodity volumes the hardware cost difference is truly insignificant which calls the motive into question. In lower volumes the software development and deployment would far outweigh the incremental hardware cost. Add in that the whole scheme was cooked up by Microsoft as their "Windows Printing System" and the real motivation becomes fairly clear. As Linux becomes more and more important, they will eventually have to reverse course and I'll bet you a virtual beer that prices don't increase. This trend simply doesn't make any sense without the proprietary agenda. > Host based modems are the same thing. All you need for a host-based modem > is a little bit of software and a place to plug in the phone cord. It's a > hell of a lot cheaper, and quite frankly, the customer who goes to Best Buy > to pick up a home computer to browse the web with, do their finances, and > play Solitaire is better off for this, because they spent less and got more. Ditto on this count, when I push the point, they are miraculously able to supply a real modem without a price increase. Hmm......... > Now, on the flip side, technical users like you and I end up with a bunch of > companies that don't want to support their "hardware" for "fringe" operating > systems. We're not their target market. > > We've got to be careful and actually buy real modems, and real printers, and > surprise surprise, be willing to eat the costs needed to buy real hardware, > as opposed to software masquerading as hardware. Actually I think it better serves the purpose to inform those people what's going on and let them choose. If these go away, we'll all be better for it. Limiting choice is never better for the consumer. > But its not a scam, and its not one of Microsoft's grand plan to rule the > world. It's just a logical path that's been followed by companies selling > hardware to typical consumers. It is entirely consistant with leveraging a monopoly on the desktop and only Microsoft requires exclusivity in their dealings with hardware vendors to get the magical Windows sticker. These exclusive deals are central to strategy. Read all the PCXXXX initiatives from the doupoly and lately from MS alone as Intel is bailing on them. Expect PC's that won't run at all without Microsoft IP in the near future although the penguin and the DOJ may have derailed this. I predict they will begin selling hardware again so as to have total control. This is an important facet of maintaining a monopoly, defection must be made as difficult as possible knowing that most folks will avoid the hassle. And it can be rationalized as "good for the consumer" or "innovative". Tell me what part of this is not true. Regards cww

S
hi all, i dont remember the original post, but i think it was for a linux driver for this modem. if so, u may go to the pctel.com website and get drivers for the same. this dsp chip is fairly common as an audio cum modem chip in sis motherboards. regards tomy zacharia instrumentation engineer

G

Greg Goodman

the pctel website does not have linux drivers. the consumers/driver download page has drivers only for windows 95/98/NT. from their FAQ: "Can I use my modem with Operating systems other than Windows 95?" "Yes! PCTEL HSP technology operates in all Windows operating systems. These include Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows CE. PCTEL currently has no plans to run on the DOS, UNIX, or Linux operating systems. We support most DOS based programs in the DOS Box under Windows 95."

J

Joe Jansen/ENGR/HQ/KEMET/US

I also found it somewhat amusing the way they made that FAQ question sound like it had a positive answer.. Does it work with anything other than Windows 95? YES!!! 95, 98, NT, you name it! Talk about cross platform! --Joe Jansen Calvin:"Can you draw anything besides Tigers?" Hobbes:"Sure! Leopards, Ocelots, Pumas, you name it!"

Chris, I have a Win98 and a HSP56 and I can't find the drivers for a 98 system. Do you have any suggestions?

Yea, i can get you the drivers for that. I actually have them. The problem with that micromodem is that i'm running winXPb2-2481 and winmodems as they are are not supported by XP in that build. but if you want the drivers for 95,98,nt,or 2000 email me and let me know.

Have an HSP56 Micromodem installed on a Compaq Presario 5000 with a Win 2000 platform. When trying to send a fax on Word I get the response "MS Mail local fax not installed updated help file 129." Is this a fax modem? I cannot find "MSMail" in the MS site. Are these related issues. What is a micromodem? All help is appreciated. Thanks.....george

D
i actually need a driver for a hsp56 micromodem for windows 200 proffesioanl. is it available and where can i obtain one? if u have it i would kill for it, im trying to fix my moms e-machine or x-mas and it was working fine until we installled win-2000 prof. she has a digital camara and we are trying to get her pics downloaded to it and then get them printed.

thnaks so much for the help and happy holidays.
david mickus

Hi
I have a new HSP56 modem. My speed on Windows 98 is very very slow and on XP i cannot connect to internet.I keep getting the message,There is no dial tone.
Can you pls help me?