Need small display motor

T

Tiffany Wiggs

I am running a booth at a gaming convention and we have several large foam dice (that look like our product) and I would like to put them up on top of a structure that cannot take a lot of weight but I would like to spin 3 of them up about 8 feet in the air at 5 RPMs or less. The dice don't weigh much (I can weigh them if needed) the "pop up wall" I bought that ultimately I want to set them on I don't think will hold a large weight but I can zip tie them down so they don't fall off and so just as long as they don't pull the whole wall over I am good. Anyone have any suggestions. My husband is good with electric stuff just doesn't know about the different things out there but he could build it if someone told him the best way to put it together.

Email me at [email protected] if you can help.

M

Michael Griffin

I think you need something like one of these: http://www.cramer-motors.com/hysteresis.html

It is a hysteresis motor, so it won't damage it if you stall it (if it fell over or got stuck). One of the listed applications is for displays. They come in various speeds (including 4 RPM).

There are other manufacturers of similar items, but this is a common brand. You will need to find a dealer in whatever country you are in. Large electronics components distributors usually have them (for example, Electrosonic in Canada sells them for about $40 each).

K

Ken Emmons Jr.

What about a 12VDC gear motor (Dayton from Grainger catalog or web site)? Lots of tourque and simple to hook up. I'm not sure if they are available in that RPM range, but I would think it would be easy to find something. You might be able to find a line powered gear motor, but I prefer the 12V or 24VDC stuff because you don't have to be as cautious with the wiring.

D

Dooley, Vince

Windscreen wiper motors are very economical small gearmotors and they will run all day off a fully charged car battery. You would need more gearing or transmission to reduce the speed to 5rpm. A small belt drive arrangement would probably do it. I'm sure you could do it with the right Meccano set. Is there a hobby shop nearby? The guys in those usually love to solve these sorts of problems.

Vince

M

Michael Batchelor

The easiest, least troublesome thing to do is plunder around on eBay for a few minutes and find one of the DJ Mirrored Disco Ball motor bases. Sometimes they're listed as display case stands. They've got everything already figured out, usually run on a couple of AA or C cells, will easily turn a small foam display, and they are cheap. Even if you lose the thing after the show you aren't out much.

Just make sure you get one that is for a display that sits on top of it rather than one that is designed for hanging. It's more work than it's worth to convert a hanging one into a table top one unless your time is really, really cheap.

MB
--
Michael Batchelor
www.IndustrialInformatics.com

W

William Sturm

Good idea, maybe a motor from a power seat or window would work too. Check your local used auto parts yards.