Need some help regarding my project

V

Vishwas

Hey guys,

I'm a student of IIT Bombay. Needed some help regarding my engineering design project. The project statement is that we have to punch holes of 8mm diameter at intervals of 25 mm on a steel sheet which is 25mm wide and 7 mm thick. So far what we have though is to control the feed motion of the steel sheet using two pinch rollers and perform indexing using a Geneva wheel. The force for punching holes comes out to be around 50-60 KN (8 tonnes). all the presses are designed for working above 20KN. Is there any feasible way in which this punching can be performed without the use of presses? Also can anyone provide me with a link for general info on presses (e.g. no of strokes per minute, power consumed, etc.) web searches invariably lead to sponsored links. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Vishwas

S

SASTRY M R K S

Hi,

You can look for general description of hydraulic presses in google search with the following tips.

1. ISIGEC presses
2. SACMI, ITALY (makers of hydraulic presses for tiles manufacturing).

Best regards

SASTRY M R K S

S
An 8 ton press is certainly not a rare item. Now if you're saying that the only presses YOU have access to are limited to 40% of that, you may have to consider another technology to make the holes, such as drilling or water jet cutting.
--
Steve Myres, PE
Automation Solutions
(480) 813-1145

M

Michael Griffin

> Is there any feasible way in which this punching can be performed
> without the use of presses? <

If you didn't use a press, it wouldn't be punching, rather it would be some other process.

> Any other suggestions are welcome. <

What would work best depends upon your criteria. You need to set targets for cycle time, captial cost, size, etc. If you need a high speed machine, then a mechanical press is probably necessary. If you can operate more slowly, then
a hydraulic press would be cheaper. An air over oil intensifier would be compact and inexpensive, but the air consumption may give higher operating costs.