Network Design Review and Performance Calculation

J

Jose Carlos

My company has experience in integration of automation systems. We hire for review a Industrial Network that combine ControlNET, DeviceNET, EthernetIP, Modbus and Fieldbus FF.

We need validate the logical and physical topology and made recommendations about hardware and software specifications, media, component configurations and infrastructure of the network. We need too calculate and analyze the network’s performance.

We are considering hiring a specialized company to do this for us, but at the same time, we would win expertise in this type of service.
Could anyone help me? Some model validation report? Some methodology for calculating performance?

I think the first thing you need to do is to define what you mean by "performance". Is that polling rate? Latency? Average throughput? How much "peformance" do you actually need for the application?

With that dog's breakfast of different protocols, I would be happy if I could just get it to work. You're not going to get a meaningful single number for overall "performance". What you could do is draw out the network topology and then try to make estimates for the response time of each control loop (controller, sensor, and actuator).

What you also have to take into account is the fact that fairly often the communications bottleneck isn't the network itself. It's the response time of the controllers or field devices. Many manufacturers don't provide those sorts of specifications, so you will either have to pry it out of them (before writing any P.O.s), or you will have to conduct your own benchmark tests on samples.