Networkable encoders?

J

Jack Brown

The application is a machine with 12 pairs of parallel axes that vertically position pedestals on a contour measuring tool. We would only move one pair of pedestals at a time and are seeking a way to reduce components and cost. The idea is to have two amps that can be switched to drive any one pair of motors at a time. The sticking point is how to switch the encoder inputs. Ideally, I would like to track down an encoder that can be interrogated over a network as to its current position. RS-485, DeviceNet and RS-422 have been mentioned during brief discussions on the topic. Do any of you have recommendations of products to look at, information sources, or anything else that might point me in a good direction? Thanks and apologies for the lack of detail. The entire endeavor is still at that early, conceptual, hand-waving stage. :) -- Jack Brown Electrical Engineer Pacific Aerospace and Electronics (425)245-7028 - [email protected]

R

Richard Dewees

we are currently using and are quite happy devicenet encoders from Danaher Controls Rick Dewees Ocean Kayak

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hi All Check out Fraba, Pepperell & Fuchs, Liene & Linde, They all have Profibus encoders, I have a preference for the Fraba type. Regards Donald Pittendrigh

Hi Jack, You can check quadrature input module from OPTO22 which can be connected to an Ethernet I/O brain. Regards C.Murali Manager(Technical)-Real Time Group Ramco Systems 3,Sardar Patel Road, Chennai-600 113,INDIA Phone 091-44-2354510 Extn:4219 Fax 091-44-2355405 Home:091-44-2363132 Web:www.ramco.com e-mail:[email protected]

H

Heinz-Juergen Oertel

For Encoders using the CANopen protocol you can search the CAN product data base at CiA http://www.can-cia.de with best regards / mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen Heinz-Juergen Oertel =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Heinz-Juergen Oertel port GmbH phone +49 345 77755-0 Regensburger Str. 7c fax +49 345 77755-20 D-06132 Halle/Saale mailto:[email protected] Germany http://www.port.de

You could also use 12 axis of servocontrol (2 PC boards) and bring the encoder signals into each axis, multiplexing the +/- 10v output to each of the two amplifiers. That would simplify the programming, but require you to do the MUX work. Bob Close Precision MicroControl Corp.