New A/B and RSlinx/RSlogix user

N

Nicole L. Schra

I am a first time user to A/B and Rockwell software working on setting up a small training system for a local community college.

I am having problems getting the communications to work and we can find no documentation for the stuff (found system is bowles of an junk lab). The problem is with the software RSlinx (2.00.97.30) and RSlogix (2.10.12.0). I am trying to get it to communicate to a A/B rack configured with the following:

Power:1746 P3
Slot 0: 1747-L532 (5/03)
Slot 1: 1746-IB16
Slot 2: 1746-OB16
Connection: 1746-PIC

I'm sure I have the rack configured properly in the I/O configuration. In RSLinx I have the device set for the AB_PIC DH485 driver on com1, station 0. I believe I must be missing something becuase when I attempt to read IO config or check who's active it returns a no response from processor. have tried several nodes all with the same results.

I would appreciate any documentation or insight that anyone could provide.

M

murray easton

connect your pc to the plc with a null modem cable and configure rslinx driver to df1 rs232-this will work.-you need to connect via a pic (232/485 converter) to get the 485 driver you have selected to work. the 9 pin port on 5/03 is electrical rs232.
hope you get online!
marios

K

Kevin Corliss

You need to have RSLinx setup as a different node then the SLC 5/03 Processor. The processor default is 0 so this may be your conflict if nonody changed the PLC address.

B
Nicole,
You might start by wiping the memory of the PLC, take the processor out of the rack and disconnect the battery. Now turn the thing over, on the back in the upper right hand corner are two pads. I think they are labeled something like VCC and B. Take a flat screwdriver and short those pads together for 20-30 seconds. This will erase whatever is left in memory.

Next, you need to make a project file for the PLC. Just your I/O configuration is all you need. That's done in RS Logix. Now here's the part where I am working from memory so excuse me. You need to find a system comms dialog box and tell the processor how you will be connecting to it. I think the 9 pin connector on the front is called DF0. set it for that.

Then connect a serial cable from your computer, with a null modem to the DB9 on the processor.

Using RS Linx check to make sure the Processor can be seen, then do a download of your project into it. From there go online and do your editing.

Sorry about working from memory here... You could either check out AB web site (www.rockwellsoftware.com) and or get in touch with the local rep.

Blair

P

Pierre Desrochers

Nicole-

We do have Laptops that will not comunicate to AB PLCs using the PIC interface. They have no problem with the DF1 protocol using the RS232 port on SLC/03 and up wich have the port. If you do have this port on your CPU, I would advise you to use it, if not, the problem could be simple OR an endless search with AB technical service...

Be prepare to reformat your drive and re-install over and over... this is wath appened to us the last time we had problems with the PIC and a Laptop.

BTW the laptops in question where Toshibas, Compac and Acer ...

If you can use the port, you could build your cable from the SLC user manual's instructions.

If you use a laptop, try with a normal desktop...

Hope this helps.

Pierre Desrochers
Integral Instrumentation Inc.
[email protected]

D

David Lawton Mars

If you're connecting to the processor DH-485 port you need to use a PIC converter (AB part no.1747-PIC). This needs the RSLinx driver AB_PIC-1 set to
19.2k baud. The com1, station 0 you mention is ok. Just make sure the max. station number is set to 31 in case the processor has a high address number. If you want to connect directly to Channel 0 on the processor you need a serial programming cable (AB part no.1747-CP3). This needs RSLinx driver AB_DF1-1, full duplex, 1200 baud, CRC error check, no parity.
If you're using the PIC driver but connecting directly to channel 0 on the processor it won't work!
Also, make sure the driver is actually running without any errors in RSLinx and do an RSWho Active to monitor what RSLinx can actually "see".
I hope that helps - feel free to e-mail directly at [email protected] if you have any problems.
Regards
David
http://www.dynamicmotion.co.uk

B

Bradley G. Hite

Hello Nicole,

First off disconnect the 1747-PIC box and throw it away (just kidding). Do unplug it and put it away though. You do not need it to communicate to the SLC-5/03. There is a 9-pin serial port on the SLC-5/03. Get a null-modem cable and plug it into the SLC-5/03 serial port (refered to as channel 0). Plug the other end into your PC serial port. Power up the PLC system.

Now start up RSlinx and remove the PIC driver that you probably already have configured. Do this by selecting the Communication menu choice and the Configure Drivers option. This will open the Driver Config window. Delete the PIC driver. If it won't delete close the configure driver dialog box select the linx gateways driver in the left hand explorer pane then go back into the configure driver window and repeat the process.

Now we need to select a new driver type. In the Configure Driver window the driver type you need is the RS-232_DF1 driver. Select the RS-232_DF1 driver and Click the Add New button. The RS-232_DF1 driver config screen will open.
Select Auto-Configure and the RS-Linx software will go out and interogate the SLC-5/03 serial port setting and will set the RS-232_DF1 driver setting to match. The settings should show up at 1200 baud, No parity, 1 stop.

Once RS-Linx can see the processor you should be in good shape.

Let me know if you need any other help

Bradley G. Hite
[email protected]
www.myplc.com

J
Sorry to disagree, but the default processor node is 1. The terminal (computer) gets address 0, which os what it is reserved for. I would
look into baud rate, etc settings. The default baud is different for the differing models of SLC processor. On a 5/03 I would try 9600pbs to start with. and go up or down from there. Check your error correction (CRC vs.BCC).

--Joe Jansen

M

Mildred Henriquez

I don't know how helpful it could be for you, but when you communicate for the first time with a new SLC, it is convenient setting the lowest speed, and after you get communication, you
can change speed to the one you want. Otherwise check the SLC port...it could be damaged. Good luck!

Mildred Henriquez
Automation Dept.
Zanchetta e C. s.r.l.
e-mail: [email protected]

T
I know from experience that there are 2 or 3 different places that the com's. have to be set up. One of them is in system com's for RSLinx and one in in the program properties. They both have to be set up for the same type drivers and com's.

I hope this helps.

Tom Prince