New Software Package, MS-Linux

W

Willy Smith

Hey, has everybody seen the release of Linux promised by Microsoft next year? Here's the link:

http://www.mslinux.org/

I think Curt and a few others are gonna love this!!!

Regards,

Willy Smith
Numatics, Inc.
Costa Rica

C

Curt Wuollet

Actually guys, I hear from my sources that things were going well until they tried to write the disk scribbler and blue-screen emulator. They couldn't figure out srandom() and no one there could deal with a command line to read the man page :^)

Still, with them buying a large chunk of Corel and owning some of Inprise (nee Borland) that isn't as hilarious as it once was. The saving grace is that attempting to embrace, extend and destroy Linux would be a bit like shooting at a skunk, something you would always remember but never repeat.

Regards

cww

R
Curt Wuollet wrote:

> Still, with them buying a large chunk of Corel and owning some of Inprise
> (nee Borland) that isn't as hilarious as it once was.

There is more........you have to remember that MS spin doctors are a separate entity to MS engineers.

NT is basicly a UNIX like box with the WIN32 API nailed on top. Nowdays even MS realise they cannot solve all problems with one OS, so they are
concentrating on getting their API, desktop and COM technologies supported on as many platforms as possible. UNIX is now back in fashion, not just the old diehards and the Open source versions (Linux and FreeBSD), but also in
completely new OS's, The new Mac OS and BeOS are both examples of new frontends on UNIX backends. At the same time W2K is seen as a big
moneyspinner in some markets, whilst being a recipe for loosing money in other sectors. So expect to see NT continue alongside W2K, and
expect then to make more of an issue of its UNIX roots. Of course with PC based unices converging aroung Linux (even SCO has been brought up by
Caldera), no surprises if Redmond does not run with the crowd on this one, especially as they stand to lose out to with W2K tend to conservative
'give me tried and trusted' types.

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: roger Irwin <[email protected]>
>
> ....you have to remember that MS spin doctors are a
> seperate entity to MS engineers.

And how about the anti-MS spin doctors?

> NT is basicly a UNIX like box with the WIN32 API nailed on top.

No Windows NT is not. Where on earth did you come up with this one?

> At the same time W2K is seen as a big
> moneyspinner in some markets, whilst being a recipe for loosing money
> in other sectors. So expect to see NT continue alongside W2K,

You do realize that Windows 2000 is built from Windows NT

> and expect then to make more of an issue of its UNIX roots.

Actually you've told me everything I need to know about your OS knowledge with this simple statment.

Dale Ross
Mitsubishi Electric Automation

Dialup BBS +1.704.588.2669
http://HarborWebs.com:8080/ telnet://HarborWebs.com

"These are my opinions and not necessarily those of Mitsubishi Electric
Automation"

R

Richard Dewees

NT is more of a descendant of VMS than Unix
the design team was the guy who started VMS (can't remember his name) and a bunch of his cronies from DEC

M
> NT is more of a descendant of VMS than Unix
> the design team was the guy who started
> VMS (can't remember his name) and a bunch of his cronies from DEC

Dave Cutler