Non-contact Level Measurement - Brine application

J

Josse Marh

Can anyone help/inform me for the appropriate selection and installation of non-contact level measurement? I plan to install this instrument for brine facility of Oil water treatment plant at which a corrosion factor is critical.

Thanks in advance,
Josse

If you are generating brine and the solid salt level is not higher than the brine liquid level, then consider ultrasonics.

I've used Siemens/Milltronics ultrasonics with kynar facing on the transducer which mounts in a PVC flange and had no problem with corrosion as long as the the junction box for the transducer is mounted away from the brine tank.

I also used one of their capacitive contact sensors in a tank where the solid salt level was routinely higher than the liquid level. Surprisingly, the probe could distinguish between the brine surrounding the solid salt, and brine-only.

Bud

Depending on specifics of your application, sonic and radar would be solutions to your application. Ametek Drexelbrook/Ohmart Vega/Endress Hauser are vendors to consider.

L.Kolbert

P
the new Siemens (Miltronics) ultrasonic is good for general applications, and has a plastic style housing. Quite economical also.

If any gas phase above liquid, or in a vacumn, use a non contact radar with a teflon coated antennae, (like a probe), or coated wave guide tube. Consider E&H or similar.

regards
project888

Depending on di-electric constant and vapor above the liquid, you can try radar or ultrasonic devices. Both can be teflon coated for corrosion protection.

You will need a 'clear' path from the top of the vessel to the liquid surface for a decent reading.

Also, you can try weigh cells on the vessel. More expensive, but less intrusive.

M
Could you just use a sight glass and use optical sensors to read the level of the liquid? I would think this would be more cost effective than ultrasonics but it may not work for you.

J
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Level switches and transmitters have been selected using non-contact ulatrasonic. They will be installed for pits (not tanks). Some mounting on pump chambers (closed) so PVC flange is considered. Two switches are for covering primary brine pit (open). My next questions are:

- Is magnetrol echotel can match this application?
- What the approprite intallation design for open pit?

Thanks & regards,

Josse