Non-contact skin blood flow/vascular reactivity meter

D

Duncan

I work for RTI, a not-for-profit organization that is contracted by organizations to assist in transitioning their technologies to commercial partners. RTI’s role is to determine the commercial potential and economic viability of technologies, as well as identify companies that may be interested in licensing the inventions or working with the inventor organizations on a cooperative effort to further develop the technologies. In order to accomplish our task, we speak directly with inventors, product manufacturers, companies, and experts in the specific field of use.

The technology concept I am evaluating is a non-contact skin blood flow meter. This invention does not require any contact between the energy source and the skin. It provides a higher level of sensitivity at higher blood flow rates than other devices on the market and it can provide a measure of blood flow in units of volume per skin unit per time. It is also capable of measuring dermal vascular reactivity to thermal stimuli in addition to blood flow rate. I am looking for some input on the market applications for such a device and how strong demand would be. Some of the questions I am looking for answers to in regard to cutaneous blood flow measurement are:

•What range of measurement is necessary for general application?
•What level of accuracy is necessary for general application?
•What product dimensions and weight (e.g. level of portability) are desirable?
•What are the most important features for consumer/patient acceptance?
•What is the expected total market for skin blood flow measurement?
•Is there a premium available for increased accuracy?
•In addition to skin blood flow, are other measures, such as vascular reactivity valuable?
•What premium features may be desirable at increased cost?
•Are there market tradeoffs between price, size, accuracy, and other attributes (e.g. good/better/best pricing model)?
•Are there other potential non-clinical or non-medical applications of this technology?

If there is someone else that you might recommend I contact regarding blood flow monitors, please let me know. I would be happy to phone you and welcome any feedback you can provide; let me know if there is a convenient time to call (it should only take 10-15 minutes). If it is easier for you to e-mail back some answers to the above questions that would be great. I am available at [email protected] or 919-541-6557. I appreciate your time, and your interest.

Regards,

Duncan Taylor

Dear Taylor,

I am interested in this technic, but I do not know if it can measure blood flow rate in capillaries in the tissue. Can you give some explanation on theory in details?

best wishes
Lijunfeng
09-28-04