Number of CO2 cylinders required to fill generator

V

vertul

Please guide me. how to calculate the no. of CO2 cylinders require to purge the generator & no. of H2 cylinder require to fill the generator by replacing filled CO2.

1. Calculate the volume of the generator.
2. Check with your CO2 cylinder supplier on the volume in each cylinder.
3. Divide step 1 by step 2.
4. Add about 200% to be on the safe side.

Have you read the manual provided by the generator manufacturer or the packager of the generator and turbine to learn their recommendations/suggestions?

I often get asked this question because the number of cylinders exceeds--sometimes greatly--the generator manufacturer's recommendations/suggestions. The reason it requires so many more cylinders than the generator manufacturer's recommendations/suggestions is that the people performing the purging/charging of the hydrogen-cooled generator are not properly informed of how the system is to be configured during each stage of the purging and charging process <b>AND</b> they are rushing the process and applying too much gas/pressure during the process.

If the proper valving is not performed during the purging/charging process then the gases will not naturally displace the gases in the generator. Further, if too much gas is applied then there will be a lot of mixing of gases inside the generator which means the entire process will take a lot longer (!) and more gas(es) than originally anticipated.

Familiarization, training and patience are the most important parts of any purging/charging process, with patience being almost the most important far and away.

Valve positioning, including putting the hydrogen seal system in service properly during the purging/charging process, is key to using the specific gravity differentials of the various gases to displace air and then CO2 when purging and charging.

Thanks CSA.

I am new on this forum (website) but I have to say over the last few weeks I have gained so much valuable information from your posts (mainly on generation topics).

This might be off topic but recently we experienced a false CO2 discharge on an old ABB BPT Generator manufactured in 1970's. The site was under the assumption the system is set up as 'automatic' discharge but this was not the case. Now to modify to just a 'Manual' operation:

1. Is there a standard we should follow?

2. Should I contact the OEM for their recommendations? It will be hard to chase this information on these old machines because ABB power is owned by Alstom. So digging archive files for the particular machines will not be easy.

3. Is there an industry practice (or benefit) which favors manual operation over automatic?

Appreciate any response. Thanks.