On-device OPC Server

K

Khalid Ansari

Is there any PLC or control device out there with an on-board OPC Server? In other words, we shouldn't need the OPC Server on the host PC -- the HMI (OPC CLient) would read the OPC values directly from the device.

Is there such a device/PLC out there?

Thanks in advance,

Khalid :)

R

Raymond van der Tas

Yes, these devices are our there !

Due to the fact that OPC is based on COM you will most likely be confronted with devices which run one of Microsoft's Embedded operating systems.

One example is the Contec CPU-SB10/64 (FIT). It runs the OS from compact flash disk. The device is as small as (WxDxH) 52 mm x 65 mm x 94 mm

Another example of such a device is the new PLC series from Moeller. It has embedded NT as well as the OPC Server on board. Your favorite OPC Client (GENESIS SCADA/HMI ?) can directly browse the OPC Items over the (DCOM) network and provide you dazzling information.

Good luck !

ICONICS EUROPE BV
Raymond van der Tas
www.iconics.com

M

Mohammed S. Islam

Mr. Khalid,

Your PLC Controller is the OPC Server. I have used siemens S7 300 PLC communicating with Intellution HMI. You have to do the hardware configuration in Step7 program for the HMI interface card. You have to install a SST card or
similar interface card on the PC side as a Client and Server.

Hope that helps.

Mohammed S. Islam

D

Donald Pittendrigh

Hi All

This is not quite correct, the OPC server communicates with the S7 PLC and acquires the requested data. It is in fact a piece of software usually resident on the HMI PC but could in fact be on some other PC as the OPC server makes its data available over a network if so desired.

The best card for communications to an S7300 PLC would be a Siemens CP1613 (well at least that is my opinion) and it comes complete with the OPC
server when you buy the required licence. It is not the cheapest option but the best seldom is.

> Your PLC Controller is the OPC Server. I have used siemens S7 300 PLC
> communicating with Intellution HMI. You have to do the hardware
> configuration in Step7 program for the HMI interface card. You have to
> install a SST card or similar interface card on the PC side as a Client
> and Server.

PLC direct has an Embedded WinCE controller which is an OPC server and plugs into the PLC I/O rack. Never used it but it looks good.

Regards
Donald Pittendrigh