Online Control System Migration

J

J. Penagos

Good Afternoon

In these days i'm in a Control system migration in a refinery. this migration consist migrate HPM Continous control to C300 Controller and Migrate Logic Manager Based TDC3000 Honeywell PLC to LIOM (this is the solution for migrating the controller without changes in I/O System). Furthermore, there are 21 US(Universal Station) that we need migrate to ES-C (Experion Console Station), 2 AM (Application Module) that must migrate to ACE (Application Control Environment, for Complex and advanced Process Control), and one old PHD that must migrate to recent version of that system. my question is, How can we migrate this system to Experion Online (I mean, without plant Shutdown and Startup)?

Hello J.,

any progress on your effort?

We do have a lot of experience in migrating systems "online", especially in chemicals, food and paper. We're working with Honeywell since more than 20 years now and now the systems very well. Let me know if we can be of any help.

Hi

You can migrate it online. You can do this loopwise one-by-one, which will take a very long time. Your both Experion & TPS will co-exist till the migration is over.

for this, first you will have to have ESVT/EST system, which will help you have TPS native window and EPKS graphics together till you do your migration. I guess honeywell has some specific type of license which will give you EST till the migration is done and later on you can convert those EST's to ESC after the migration is done.

AM migration is a long way since you will have to convert all the AM-CL progs to SCMs in C300 or ACE.

If you are using HPM I/Os with C300 it will be difficult, since the online cutover calls for both systems totally up and running while you migrate few loops everyday after doing the homework on those loops.

You need to have extensive study on the logic configurations, but it is not impossible. You can give your email address where we can discuss at length.

A

alejandro garcia

Hi,

I am a DCS operator and we will migrate from TPS to Experion in a few month with the plant running, my concern is how DCS operators (two per unit) manage to operate and migrate at the same time. I would like to know some experiences in order to be prepared to what will came.

thanks

C

Chris Jennings

In migrations I have seen a second set of operator stations are set up nearby for use by the operators using the new system and the old operator stations remain in place. Once the new system has been fully commissioned then the old operator stations are removed one at a time and replaced with the new stations. The main complication usually comes from the custom control room setups which have fancy desks and monitors.

Yes it will be difficult initially, but assuming you have enough space to set up the new operator stations nearby it shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully some FAT has been completed which has ironed out most of the conversion issues. I have seen a rather poor Experion migration and it took a lot of work to "fix" it.

Chris Jennings

J

Jorge Penagos

Thanks Sir for your support

that is a good option. We are discuss with the Personal how do that task.