OPC advice needed

E

engelndmj

Hi! I'm a newbie with interfacing and I need advice or info about OPC...

Can any OPC server connect to any devices such as a YOKOGAWA DX 230? or do I need to buy a specific OPC server for me to poll data from the DX230?

Im planning to interface a YOKOGAWA DX230 to an existing HMI.

thanks!

Generally, the answer is no, OPC servers have internal drivers and connect to instruments for which the driver is compatible. Most vendors who sell OPC servers have an OPC server that is generic Modbus RTU that can interface to any Modbus RTU slave, when configured for that.

Few field devices have an OPC server built-in.
Primarily because OPC's heritage is Microsoft's Windows COM/DCOM and most instruments do not have that inherent capability.

I don't know about the DX230, but it is not common for the OPC server to reside in a field instrument. Not unheard of, the Honeywell QX and SX recorders have an OPC server resident in the recorder, but it seems to be more rare than common.

If the DX does indeed have an OPC server built into it, then you need to determine whether the HMI is an OPC client. It isn't clear from your statement, whether your HMI is a panel HMI or an HMI software package running on Windows. Most HMI software nowadays has an OPC client module. HMI panels would typcially not be an OPC client, unless it was a PC based HMI pkg.

Your best bet is to inquire of Yokogawa as to what they recommend for an OPC server for the DX (if it is not already built-in).

Both OPC servers and clients require configuration of a tag database.

David

Hi, I will respond beneath
Can any OPC server connect to any devices such as a YOKOGAWA DX 230? or do I need to buy a specific OPC server for me to poll data from the DX230?
You must to use an OPC for the YOKOGAWA DX 230 protocol. This OPC will work as your OPC Server

Im planning to interface a YOKOGAWA DX230 to an existing HMI.
Yes you can, you need to be sure that the HMI can work as OPC Client

I hope this helps you, if you let me know your email address we can still go forward with this technical exchange. Aslo you can Try at http://www.arsoft-int.com