OPC server communicate with OPC server

F

Franco Kew

First of all, we have this statement: "Two OPC servers can‘t exchange data, as they are designed to respond to a client‘s requests and are unable to generate requests."

For Matrikon OPC server to communicate with 3rd party OPC server, we can use Matrikon OPC Data Manager or MODM.

For Siemens OPC server to communicate with 3rd party OPC server, we have to make sure 3rd party OPC server have server/client function, and sharing on the same network. At one time, one OPC server will configure as server to talk to the other OPC server which is in client.

I need some advise on the Siemens OPC server, if I want the OPC server to communicate with 3rd party OPC server.

Rgrds,
Franco Kew

In order to facilitate such communication you typically use an OPC client that connects to both servers, and transfers the data between them.

This can either be a COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) product dedicated to this purpose, or you can build one using an OPC client toolkit (disclaimer: I represent a vendor one such toolkit, QuickOPC, www.opclabs.com).

There is also a specification for this purpose, called OPC-DX (OPC Data Exchange), but very few servers support it.

J

Joel Spafford

There are many vendors that provide OPC server to OPC server software solution products. I represent one such vendor (RoviSys with a software product called BridgeMaster). Our product allows OPC tag value connections to be mapped between any two OPC servers. Our solution can be downloaded from our website and tried before deciding to purchase. Please feel free to contact me (see our website) if you need further assistance with setting up this type of solution.