OPC Server in J++?

M

Martin Boers

I am writing a real-time control application using Microsoft Visual J++. I would like clients to communicate with my application through OPC Data Access 2.0 interfaces - that is, the application would be both a control application and an OPC DA Server. Can anyone tell me:

1. Is it possible to write an implementation of the OPC Data Access 2.0 CUSTOM (not automation) interfaces using only J++?

2. If not, could anyone recommend a neat way of getting this interface on to my application? At the moment I'm considering writing the OPC Server in C++ and bolting it on to my J++ application.

S

Sage, Pete (IndSys, GEFanuc, Albany)

1. Is it possible to write an implementation of the OPC Data Access 2.0 CUSTOM (not automation) interfaces using only J++?

Don't know about the custom interfaces. The automation interfaces are not implemented in the server. The OPC Foundation provides source for
OPCDAAuto.dll which contains the automation wrappers. Typically you create an OPCServer automation object and then attach it to the CLSID/Object ID of the actually OPCServer. OPCDAAuto.dll is essentially a converter from
IDispatch to the custom COM Interfaces.

Pete