OPC Servers Comparison

D

DipankarSaha

Can anybody provide the details of major OPC server provider present in the market with their pros and cons? Request your help.

J

James Ingraham

Yep, pretty much Kepware and Matrikon.

I haven't actually ever used Matrikon on a real project, so I can't say how they are. However, from what I hear, they're the gold standard.

As for Kepware , I always considered them to be perfectly good... right up to about March 2014, when I was using their latest-and-greatest OPC-UA server to talk to a ControlLogix PLC. At which point I discovered that if I add a tag to the ControlLogix online (as opposed to downloading) I had to trigger a refresh on Kepware to see the new tag. This is utterly unacceptable; I am not going drop communication to everything in the plant for 30 seconds or so while Kepware re-establishes communication just so I can add one tag to one PLC. I talked to Kepware tech support about the issue, and they seemed surprised I thought it was an issue.

Also of note, virtually everyone has their own OPC server for their own products. Rockwell/Allen-Bradley has RSLinx, for example. Most SCADA/HMI packages have their own servers they ship with, though often behind the scenes they are using Kepware or Matrikon and they just don't advertise it.

opcfoundation.org has a product list, although of course it won't tell you anything about how good the products are or how wide-spread they are in industry.

-James Ingraham
Sage Automation, Inc.

Hello,

> Most SCADA/HMI packages have their own servers
> they ship with, though often behind the scenes they are
> using Kepware or Matrikon and they just don't advertise it.

Normally an OPC server is hand in hand with a protocol driver. Though that is not required, OPC only covers OPC data exchange.

These "Most SCADA/HMI packages" may use a 3rd party OPC server, the SCADA/HMI includes an OPC client, when the SCADA/HMI does not offer native protocol "drivers" to the PLC/external device.

Take PeakHMI for example; It has all native protocol drivers (30+) and publishes all the data for access via OPC. PeakHMI is the OPC server.

PeakHMI also has a built-in OPC client. If a needed protocol driver is not supported, an OPC server/protocol driver product would be a solution to access the data.

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/