OPCLink For Wonderware

J

Justin Julian

Well the summary says it all, I am;

Installing OPCLink on Wonderware and getting a false "Common Components Not Loaded Error".

It seems to say that the common components are not loaded, however, I have installed them. Here are some additional pieces of info;

InTouch Version 7,1,0,0921
Attempting to communicate to Wonderware using Alarmworx32 version 5.20.55.00

Please help.

B

Bob Peterson

I just started a WW project. Lost of very strange problems.

The oddest was where it would quit in the middle of an install and indicate an insufficency of disk space to load Acrobat reader, despite the fact that I had 20+ gigabytes of free disk space available.

I also found that there is a known bug they ship with the 7.11 version that only manifests itself in Windows 2000. Not surprisingly, version 7.11 is made only for W2000. Fortunately, version 7.1 also works in W2000 so I deinstalled Version 7.11 and put 7.1 on its its place, which seems to
function OK. As best I can tell the only thing 7.11 has that 7.1 does not is some obscure alarm feature of dubious value anyway.

Just so you know, anything created in 7.11 is not backwards compatible, so unless you need an obscure feature of little value to most situations, stick to 7.1.

No doubt a WW marketing genius will pipe up that whatever it is that 7.11 does that 7.1 does not, is some great feature, but a version that does not work at all is of no value to me at all. I am told there is a workaround for this bug, but I am unwilling to fiddle around with it. Not worth it to get this alleged feature that only exists in 7.11, when 7.1 already works.

Also, my expereince has been that WW will not reliably function on any laptop running Win98. If this is your situation, your problem may not be resolvable. (My statement is based on it refusing to reliably work on 3 separate laptops running W98, but working fine on 2 different desk tops running W98, several different versions of WW involved).

Tech support is mediocre but adequate to the task. Give them a call.

Bob Peterson

T

Trevor Ousey

I am currently running Intouch 7.11 on my notebook with win2000 sp2 no issues, the notebook is a pentium 166 w/ 128Mb ram. I also have it on NT4 server, and two NT4 workstations, two with Mssql 7 and two with MSDE 2000, and no problems. The main improvements are alarm logging, and IMHO it is a great improvement, especially if you had started using AlarmSuite. I would avoid using Win9x as the platform of choice. As for WWare support, I have used it and am happy with their support. I have more success with WW than RS GTS, and their discussion forum is well supported.

D

D.C. Pittendrigh

Hi All

> The oddest was where it would quit in the middle
of an install and indicate
> an insufficency of disk space to load Acrobat
reader, despite the fact that I
> had 20+ gigabytes of free disk space available.

I have seen this happen if Acrobat is already
installed when you begin the new installation. I never install acrobat this way as it is seldom the latest version and im willing to bet the one with 7.11 isnt either, latest version being 5.

> I also found that there is a known bug they ship
with the 7.11 version that
> only manifests itself in Windows 2000. Not
surprisingly, version 7.11 is made
> only for W2000. Fortunately, version 7.1 also
works in W2000 so I
> deinstalled Version 7.11 and put 7.1 on its its
place, which seems to
> function OK. As best I can tell the only thing
7.11 has that 7.1 does not is
> some obscure alarm feature of dubious value
anyway.

I have used 7.1 extensively with Win2K pro and
server it is stable and a pleasure to work with, but, there is a win2K patch you should install. I
am not sure why but in some cases I had problems
with corruption of the tag database which I think related to ommission to load the patch.

> Also, my expereince has been that WW will not
reliably function on any laptop
> running Win98. If this is your situation, your
problem may not be
> resolvable. (My statement is based on it
refusing to reliably work on 3
> seperate laptops running W98, but working fine
on 2 different desk tops > running W98, several different versions of WW
involved).

I have seen 7.1 running on 2 other laptops, and
have had it running on mine, I was using Win98 at the time, I am uncetain about the other 2 but one of them belongs to a client who's plant standard is Win98, no special procedure and no obscure problems to get it to work on my machine so this surprises me. I used the serial port for comms on my laptop, is your problem not perhaps
related to some form of comms driver you were
using.

Regards
D.C. Pittendrigh

G

Guillaume rouvier

I am french and i don't write a good Englsi but i have saw this problem when i install OPC Link software. You must install wonderware standard components (eg: Netdde,wonderware loggere, etc...) and after install opclink...

Good luck

Guillaume Rouvier