Open SCADA systems and phone comms

S

Salvador

I´m in Brazil starting studing open SCADA systems.
I´d like to know about open SCADA systems to remotly access PLC´s by phone lines.

Thanks in advance

M
Can u please give me some more details?

yes ofcourse u can work with open SCADA using CAN open communication protocol. by phon line in the sense? do u want to connect with internet or what?

Manikandan'
India

Hi Nico,

The communication should be in MODBUS RTU. But I need to dial first and them stabilish the communication.

The guys from INDUCTIVE suggested use their FactorySQL/FactoryPMI and an OPC server or OPC/Modbus bridges.

What do your think?

Dear Manikandan,

What I want to do is a system like that:

The supervisory system has to monitor 6 really small water treatment stations installed in 6 different locations.

Each station has a small PLC with a modem and a telephone line.

The operator chooses witch station he wants to connect to and the supervisory has to dial to the station, establishes communication with the PLC (MODBUS RTU) and allows plant control including: start/stop equipments, collect historical data, see and reset alarms.

In the other hand, if an alarm occurs in the plant, the PLC will dial to supervisory system.

Thank you in advance.

Salvador,

I had mentioned earlier trying to use FactorySQL
http://www.inductiveautomation.com/products/factorysql/
and FactoryPMI
http://www.inductiveautomation.com/products/factorypmi/
but wasn't sure about whether OPC servers could deal with dialing over Modbus RTUs. My colleagues indicate that they've done what I believe are similar operations in the hydroelectric power industry.

Have you found a feasible way to do this? I'll help you find an OPC server so that you can choose between industry standard software if you haven't found a suitable response.

Nathan

Hy Salvador
I think that all you need to do is possible, we did it several times since 1997 (for water plant an water distribution also for Oil and Gas) if you ca offer a email address I will bring to you a solution
Best

B

Brian E Boothe

HI ;
thats all our company does is water and wastewater, we probably
have 40 scada systems that have dialup, lines and it's very Slowww and
Modem failures out the wazuu , we are switching to secured Wireless
ethernet and ISDN lines, ohhh sooo much easier, and FAST,,,,,

oh and make sure your PC's aren't proprietary you'll run into
ass-aches there as well,, trust me i live this everyday.....

"stop the 30yr old outdated technology"