OS

• Thread starter phillip mastroianni
  • Start date
P

phillip mastroianni

I am not sure how to contribute ideas (good or bad) so I will use this forum. Has there been any thought to creating a Process Control Linux specific OS. Or is this going to be the domain of the LinuxPLC? What about OPC. I know that this is a windows specific item, but I have seen OPC for linux (as well as DCOM for linux) see www.intrinsyc.com.

=====
Phillip Mastroianni
[email protected]
[email protected]

C

Curt Wuollet

phillip mastroianni wrote:

> I am not sure how to contribute ideas (good or bad) so
> I will use this forum.

You came to the right place! This is where most of the new
ideas in automation are happening.

> Has there been any thought to
> creating a Process Control Linux specific OS.

No, I think there are great advantages to using a
standard Linux with realtime extensions. What do you think would make an OS specific for process control?

> Or is
> this going to be the domain of the LinuxPLC?

Yes. But, by using standards rather than creating new ones where possible. Our goals are way different than the Big Automation vendors. We're trying to maximize the advantage of free and open in a backwards proprietary market that has choked itself into decline.

> What about OPC. I know that this is a windows specific
> item, but I have seen OPC for linux (as well as DCOM
> for linux) see www.intrinsyc.com.

I personally am not at all enthusiastic about anything Microsoft creeping into the project and polluting it. But the great thing about this OSS project is that, if you can write it and GPL it, we'll put it in the tree for those who want to use it. I don't understand why anyone who is committed to funding the monopoly would be wanting
to use our stuff and vice versa, but I suppose there are integration needs. It's your project, it'll go the way you move it. Let's not build the project around it please.

An old UNIX maxim states: Method, not policy.

Regards

cww