OSI Pi versus Aspen Info Plus 21

P
We have systems running in the field with our historian and recording
20M 16-bit samples/second continuously. Of course, this has to be designed as a system with regard to the hardware and software but it is running out there and collecting data. We believe it can go faster but this has not been proven yet.

Some values are recorded at many KHz.

--
Peter Clout
Vista Control Systems, Inc.
2101 Trinity Drive, Suite Q
Los Alamos, NM 87544-4103

[email protected]
http://www.vista-control.com

hi rkb and all,

have you got some feedback after using Iconics Hyperhistorian?

we are looking for a historian for 50K tag counts, need a good reliable and competitive solution.

BR
Kevin

S

Sudhaakar Gubba

I am working on an academic project from Columbia University. The project is related to provinding "comprehensive mobile solutions for remote monitoring of power plants". Looking for some information user needs, pricing model, competition, product feature set etc. If any one is willing to share their expertise/experience in this area, would you please share contact details. I really appreciate your help. For the past 15 years, I have been working in software application development. Prior to that I had 10 years experience in power plant operations and construction experience. Now my knowledge in this area is completely outdated in power industry.

Regards
Sudhakar Gubba
[email protected]

M

Maryanne Steidinger

Your information on Wonderware Historian (aka InSQL) is dated, but I'm pleased to provide you with current information. The product's evolution is such that it has high tag capacity (1M +) and is rigorous enough for large, distributed, enterprise applications. We recently released a Tiered Historian which allows you to use a cloud-based hosting for the Tier 2 (reporting) layer, providing even more scalability.

I came across this post in search for data storage metrics for IP21.

I'm involved in a project were we will receive about 100 parameters from 10 locations every minute 24/7. The backend will be Aspentech IP21. That will give us about 1.44 million parameters every 24 hours. In 1 year that will give us about 525 million parameters.

What happens with the database if we are not allowed to delete ANY of the parameters we receive?

The amount of data will grow to unbelievable sizes. Yes, we maybe can archive data older than a given period, but we still need to keep it.

Are there any "limitations" or recommendations in terms of parameter history/storage for Aspen IP21?

Any hints are much appreciated.

Since I'm more into MS SQL, I'm not familiar with systems like Aspentech IP21, hence my lack of knowledge. I understand that they are not comparable...:)

Thanks in advance,
Fredrik

RKB I very much enjoyed reading your post on data historians and the choice of suppliers; you seem very knowledgable indeed.

I know this is an old post and you are unlikely to read my response but on the off chance I would like to start a conversation with you about historian products.

A bit of background from me. I work in the Water Utility industry in the UK and we are about to start looking at procuring a historian to manage our real-time data in a better way. We are looking to develop a user requirement specification for the historian and then put the implementation out to tender. I have had OSI Soft in to chat but want to remain impartial at this stage.

If I get a respnse from you I will drop you my email and perhaps we can have a discussion, your insight could be very useful to us.
Many thanks,

Jody

I

Indrajeet Pawar

Dear Jody,

We are an Aspen Tech ISP (Implementation service Partner) from India, capable of licensing and implementing software from any domain in the Aspentech Suite, all around the world. I would really like to gauge your requirements and share some information about Aspen Tech's IP.21 solution model at the same time. Please share your email id and we will be more than happy to engage with you on this opportunity.
Waiting for your reply,

Indrajeet Pawar
([email protected])
Sales Account Manager
Helium Consulting

I work in OIL and GAS industry using both systems IP21 and PI OsiSoft. The data that is collected by the system is stored in archive and it is not expensive. So for 10000 tags or records with millions of records and years of data can be stored on single DVD. We have archive which holds 2 years of data. Older archives would be backed up to external storage devices.

Usually the data is stored for 7 years and after that it is deleted.

> I came across this post in search for data storage metrics for IP21.

> I'm involved in a project were we will receive about 100 parameters from 10 locations every minute 24/7. The backend
> will be Aspentech IP21. That will give us about 1.44 million parameters every 24 hours. In 1 year that will give us
> about 525 million parameters.

> What happens with the database if we are not allowed to delete ANY of the parameters we receive?

> The amount of data will grow to unbelievable sizes. Yes, we maybe can archive data older than a given period,
> but we still need to keep it.

> Are there any "limitations" or recommendations in terms of parameter history/storage for Aspen IP21?

T

Tapas Bhattacharyya

The discussion about comparing the selection is very informative.
To do better analysis, the areas to be factored as Technical and commercial. Technology, standards, innovations versus use must be selectively compared.

When you finish with background and foreground, then turn to economics, and ROI to sustainability.

This methodology is generally applies here to.
In my opinion, OSI is better, but ASPEN is catching up.

I'm working on OSISoft PI Historian for couple of years, So I would like to share my exp on this.

I prefer OSISOft PI to any other historian just because of its extensive features like data handling and Integration and when it comes to PI2012 Windows Integrated security. This product comes up with very good analytic tools like PI coresight, Event frames, ACE and we can also achieve condition monitoring, Identify exceptions
to obtain early warning of failures.

But still it depends on requirements and tag count. Guess u would need a package of PI Historain, PI DL, PI PB, PI INterfaces (PI OPC, PIto PI, PI UFL, PI RDBMS) PI Batch (for pharma industries), Rtreports, Rtwebparts.

J
> Canary Labs (www.canarylabs.com) has a real time Data
> Historian that they claim can do 1M updates per second.
> Anyone have an experience with this product?

Canary can write at speeds over 2.5 million per second. We specialize in speed and reliability. Can cover systems from 5 tags to 1,000,000 plus.

J
Believe it or not Fredrik, the 1,000 points that you are monitoring at 60 second intervals will result in a very small time-series database. Depending on the format, you are only talking about 5.3 or 9.3 bytes per instance. If the smaller R4 format, after a year, that's only a 4.7 GB file if not compressed. Any historian worth it's salt will "roll up" the file every so many days into a compressed data base. We have a similar customer who is recording about the same tag count and after 10 years they have a total database with under a 12GB footprint.

What is important is to stay away from SQL historians. If not, someone will have to manage that database. With a proprietary database like ours, there is no required data base management. Even if you want to pull trends with dates from 8 years ago, our 4.6 million TVQ/sec read speed will load it instantly. For a full performance breakdown, read here - http://blog.canarylabs.com/2016/06/data-historian-performance-test-pushing.html

>Canary Labs (www.canarylabs.com) has a real time Data
>Historian that they claim can do 1M updates per second.
>Anyone have an experience with this product?

Our RAPID Database/Historian product supports storing of 4.5 Million events per second at API level. We are a reasonably priced alternative for storing and reporting process data, and we scale from very small to Millions of tags as needed. Check us out at http://www.automsoft.com, contact us at [email protected]

I work on both systems. I work on both systems.

It depends on what you want... OSI-PI is nice with COTS out of the box basic needs.

AspenTech IP21 is easy to customize.

Both are very reliable if set up correctly. I have more experience with AspenTech and I am partial to that system.

I hope this helps,

Jim