over voltage protection of transformer

A

aryan

Hi everybody,

My work area includes a transformer in steel industry. I can see RC circuit for over voltage protection as well as surge arrestor for protection from voltages surges.

I have some questions which i am looking for someone to answer to make the things clear to me.

1)How can we know if the system is generating over voltage during switching of the breaker.

2)How can the functioning of RC unit be checked for it healthiness and to confirm it is ok.

3)Should the RC components be changed on regular interval as there is nothing like maintenance other than physical(visual) checking .

4)Same with the surge arrestor , how to check the functionality of the surge arrestor ,where they are healthy and working their function.

5)In surge arrestor generally we have counter to find number of surges ... so i can assume that there are surges but don't know how to find source of surges.

ITS RC SERIES NETWORK WITH R=100Ohms AND c=150nF.

I would really like someone to explain all my questions....Please.

Aryan... how are the R and C elements installed on the transformer? Can you provide a simple hand-sketch or SLD (Single-Line-Diagram) illustrating a typical installation?

Phil Corso