Paging out for text file changes

D

David Lee

I am running an alarm management software package that can write to a text file, formatted information about alarms received. I need an
application (compatible with windowsNT 4) that will monitor the text file for additions, and upon such changes, initiate a page to an
alphanumeric pager via a standard external modem, sending the information added to the text file.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

David Lee
SiteScan Project Engineer
Liebert Global Services
(614) 841-6310 phone
(614) 841-6315 fax
(800) LIEBERT pager

P

Piotr Kowalski

Hello group!

Is a gate email-pager available for you?
If it is so, the easy way to send a message would be to send a e-mail message through the gate. It is rather easy with VB for example.

Regards
|-|/|--| |--| |---------------(S)-|
|-| |--|/|--|/|---------------(R)-|
| Farm Frites Poland SA
| InformatyczneSystemyPrzemyslowe
| Piotr Kowalski
| tel/fax (059) 8629206/8629165

M

Michael Dennis

Off the shelf? No. Because you would need to write a parser for the info that you wanted to send. But sending the data to your pager would be a simple trick, using the modem as an autodialer.
Could you show me the text file with typical data in it? Does your pager have specific instructions on how to send a message to it? I'd like to see them, too.

> I am running an alarm management software package that can write to a text file, formatted information about alarms received. I need an
> application (compatible with windowsNT 4) that will monitor the text file for additions, and upon such changes, initiate a page to an
> alphanumeric pager via a standard external modem, sending the information added to the text file.

M
Why knock yourself out , for under $2K you can get AlarmWorX + from Iconics and either connect it to the DCS/PLC/IO directly or get them from a serial port into the PC with the built in Parsing utility (works w/ old DCS printer outputs)

Mark

N

Nic Christodoulou

Have you considered using the scripting langauge Rebol (www.rebol.com) written by Carl Sassenrath of Amigados fame. Its very powerful, very simple, and has many powerful parsing and messaging features.

I think you should be able to use this.

Nic