panel space clearance

V

vijay

What is the minimum space to be provided in front and back of the panel in control room. does any standards explain about the space requirements

vijay

B

Bob Peterson

Well, first off you need "enough" room to safely work inside the panel. That is usually interpreted to be 30-36 inches (or one meter).
Most specs seem to say 36", but I think NEC (which really does not apply to control panels as such) says 30" or maybe 36".

But on the practical side, additional space might be needed for equipment removal, or to bring in test gear.

Another issue is if the aisles between facing cabinets are also used regularly for foot traffic. If so you will need to make them wide
enough that a cabinet door can be open, and someone can still safely walk past.

If doors are facing each other, you will at the very least need enough room to open both facing doors simultaneously.

K

Kirk S. Hegwood

UL 508A has clearance standards. Its also nice to remember the poor field electrician with big hands and big tools. Give them some room.

Kirk S. Hegwood
President
Signing for Hegwood Electric Service, Inc.
[email protected]

B
You can find this information in the Electrical Code in both Canada and the US.

My rule of thumb is - three feet for low and medium voltage, five feet for high voltage - plus extra room required to remove any component completely, when required.

Bob Pawley
250-493-6146

J
Hi,

Check the NEC, Article 110.26. Depends on the circumstances of your particluar installtion. (assuming you are in the USA)

Jeff

I

I.Rameshkumar

Practically it is 1 to 1.5 metres on both front & back sides depending on your control room size.

I.Rameshkumar
Design Engineer - Instrumentation
MECON Limited,
Ispat Bhawan,
Bhilai - 490 001
Chhattisgarh
India

M
Does someone have a pdf of the standard they can forward to me.
How does this compare to NEMA???
Thanks in advance