parallel port device driver

M

Mario de Sousa

Hi guys,

Like I said some time ago, I didn't like the way the parport module was accessing the parallel port directly, which is not portable.

I have now written a small pass-through device driver for the parallel port, and made some very small changes to the parport module to support
it.

The parport module now supports both kinds of access, defaulting to direct access. If a
dev_file = /dev/plc_parportX is added to the linuxplc.conf file, then the module will use the kernel module through the specified device file. If this access fails, then it tries to use direct access. If no dev_file is specified, then direct
access is also used.

The plc_parport device driver (a.k.a. kernel module) is located under /drivers/plc_parport, and the makefile will do everything (compile,
install module and man page, create /dev/plc_parportX nodes, ...). Just type make to see the options.

I know this is mostly useless and will probably never get used, but I just felt like writing a kernel module... ;-)

Cheers,

Mario.

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario J. R. de Sousa
[email protected]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario de Sousa:
> The plc_parport device driver (a.k.a. kernel module) is located under
> /drivers/plc_parport, and the makefile will do everything (compile,
> install module and man page, create /dev/plc_parportX nodes, ...). Just
> type make to see the options.

I've just changed the makefile so that "make all" doesn't do anything (though it probably should compile).

I don't like the idea of a "make all" at the lPLC top level installing things... (particularly not into the kernel).

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <[email protected]>
You know you've been hacking too long when ...
... reading a book you notice the word "From" at the beginning of a line.