PC as a Foundation FieldBus device

R

Reza Hasseli

I am looking for an interface to be used between a PC (say a laptop) and Foundation Feildbus trunk enabling the PC to acts as an FF device, does any body know if this interface is available or I can build one?
Regards,
Reza Hasseli.

V

Verhappen, Ian

National Instruments make a card to do this function. You can also purchase any HSE Linking Device to do the same thing through an Ethernet port. Look for Foundation Fieldbus on the NI site at http://www.ni.com You will also need to purchase the necessary associated software interface and that is the expensive part.

Ian Verhappen

Hi,

Verhappen, i wanted to have multiple simulated device on my PC and communicate on the Fieldbus. will it be possible if i use this (NI) card? Please let me know if it is possible.

Thanks,
Thomas

T

Thomas David

Ian,

I am not sure whether you understand my doubts. anyway i wanted to explain my requirements to you detail. Hope i get good response now.

Sir, i have a FF network which has so many devices connected to FF controller to test my application. here i wanted to connect my FF controller to my Laptop which has simulator (Which has so many devices). and i wanted to test it. through this my intent to remove the Hardware (FF Devices) and Test with Simulated FF Devices. So i need to convert my FF signal into RS232 signal to connect my Laptop. will this be possible on the card (NI) you have specified? If it is possible please tell me the correct card which i can connect to my Laptop from FF networks. Hope you understand my requirement.

Thanks,
Thomas David

V

Verhappen, Ian

If you want to simulate a signal, the best way to do so is to purchase the module developed by Fieldbus Inc. specifically for that purpose. All registered FF devices can be found on the web at www.fieldbus.org. This will typically only emulate a number of Function blocks not an entire network.

However it looks like you would like to use a PC to simulate signals that are sent as serial communications then translated to Fieldbus. The National Instruments (http://www.ni.com) PCMCIA card (http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=1320=US) connects your laptop DIRECTLY to the Fieldbus network, but it will NOT provide the simulation you are after. If you wish to simulate a network on your laptop, you will have to purchase an Serial-to-Fieldbus converter and I believe the only company doing that is Emerson Process Management. Emerson also have a relationship with a company that does Fieldbus simulation (Simulink seems to be the name in my mind) so that may be a better alternative then writing something yourself.

I hope this helps. If we still have some communications difficulties, a phone call will likely help so please contact me directly at the addresses below. Thanks.

Ian Verhappen
[email protected] or [email protected]

T

Thomas David

Dear Sir Ian,

Can i get the name of the Emerson Serial to Fieldbus converter? So that i can buy it test on my application with my simulated devices.

Thanks & Regards,
Thomas David