PC to Simadyn D interface (RS232 -> TTY)

S

Simon Pollard

Hi all,

We have a number of Simadyn systems and at present we can only interrogate them using the old DOS-based IBS program which happens to live on a PG that weighs half a ton and is the size of a decent suitcase! Needless to say, it's far from being a 'portable' device!

We are looking to use the newer IBS software on a laptop but we understand we need an RS232 to TTY adapter to communicate with the Simadyn processors...

Does anyone know where we can buy one of these from or, alternatively, have the pinout details and how to make one?

This will at least get us by until Siemens get back to us about the 'new' PGs that were due for launch in May (we haven't heard from them since April). Has anyone bought one of these new PGs?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Simon Pollard
C&I Engineer

G
Is this the old style Sim-D system (no S7)? We use Struc V4.2.6 for programming. This version has the IBS-G online capability built in. The bad thing is that Struc can only run under SCO UNIX operating system. I’m UNIX ignorant, and that makes it inconvenient. Rock solid operating system though. The serial interface uses the same cable as the DOS IBS. No converter. Plugs into the CS7-SS4 card in the Sim-D rack. The IBS-G is nice, but still limited in what you do. It is still not possible (reliably) to invoke new function blocks online. You can still make connection and value changes. Most of the guys prefer to use the old Service program because you can look at data from multiple processors at once.

I would not use a Siemens PG unless money is no object. They cannot justify the cost of these machines. The PG’s are usually built well, but you can purchase several “disposable” laptops for the price of one PG.

We use the DOS IBS on laptops and desktops with no problems. There isn’t anything special about the program, just copy it to a PC and run it. There isn’t any hidden drivers or special installation tricks.

We connect several systems to a switchbox in the office. There we can select which system we want to look at without having to drag a computer to each rack. The longest cable run we have is over 100’ and it works great. We used shielded cable of course, but these are on cycloconverter drives that create a lot of noise.

I’ve recently tried to run the DOS service IBS on my new laptop under XP. It did not work well. I had to make it boot into DOS to get a reliable connection. Not sure what the problem is with XP, but it didn’t like it.

M

Michael Griffin

I haven't used a Simadyn, but RS232 to TTY adaptors that work with Siemens PLCs can be bought from a number of sources. Siemens is one such source, but B&B electronics sold these as well. There are likely other sources which may be more convenient depending upon what country you are located in.

The RS232/TTY adaptors that were used with S5 PLCs came in two types. passive and active. One type required a separate power supply, while the other drew power from the PLC programming port. Most Siemens hardware worked with the type that didn't need a power supply, but there was the odd device that required the powered adaptor.

Yes, that's right. My TTY/RS232 converter uses PLC power sources on TTY side. If you like to work with old TTY interfaces, external power source is needed. Example is AS511 interface card for old 130WB/150U series. We modified my converter for work with AS511, using cheap
power source, which you can buy on each corner. Modification took half of hour. You can use machine 24V source to feed up one of the TTY loops. For feeding another TTY loop you can use above mentioned cheap power source. Alternatively there is a possibility to add voltage converter to my circuitry (if you use 5V source from USB port) or make simple power source with two isolated 12-24V halfs (trafo with two isolated secondary windings, couple of diode bridges and capacitors).

Mike Virgiliev

To be honest, I'm a bit reticent to pay out for a PG because for the money it's pretty steep for what you get (basically not much more than a ruggedised PC!) hence the query into using a laptop.

Yes, it's the old style Simadyn-D, and it's hard work using the gear we have to communicate with it, especially when we need to move it all over site.

If I can get the pinout details I'll make a lead up myself - it seems UK suppliers of RS232->TTY cables are few and far between!

Thanks for your posting.

I have used the IBS programs with my laptop for years and I have not needed any converter. The same cable that I used for connecting the PG to the rack was used on my laptop. However, I have not worked on any 16 bit processors. Is that what you are using?

E

Elliott Edwards

We use the 16 and 32 bit processors as well as the IBS ver. 4.0.3 (through COM1 port on the PC and XO2 on the PM16s OR COM1 port on the PC and SS4 module on the CS7s). I have the schematics for all cables from the RS232/TTY through the HEX monitor and other patch cables. These are in PDF or DOC format. If you still need these, e-mail the moderator and I will forward them to you. Thanks.

Hello, I read your post, that you have the schematics of cables. We use 16 and 32 bit processors as well as the IBS 403 and 501. Now we run a virtual Win 98 and use this tools. Is it possible to read and change values on 32 Bit Processors but it doesn't work with 16 Bit Processors. So it would be nice if you send me your schematics. Because I think it would be a problem of the cable from COM (PC) to 16 Bit Processor. Thanks.

Hahner

Hello, Elliott Edwards

I also use the 16 bit precessors and IBS 4.0.3
program for our power plant in Thailand. Actually I have 2 of PG740 but right now one of that is damaged (it cannot communicate with processor), and I'm trying to use IBS program on my laptop but it doesn't work because it cannot communicate either.

I have one question: Is it possible to communicate by RS232 (9pin) to X02? If possible, please give me advice on how to do it. And please send schematics for all cables to me.

Regards,
tom_chon @ hotmail.com

Did you check to see what port the IBS program is configured to be looking at? Also, did you choose a baud rate of 9600? Both of these things will affect your communication.