Pedestrian counter

A

Alastair Fordyce

We are designing/ testing an application for counting pedestrian traffic through doorways into and out of public buildings. Some systems use horizontally mounted beam sensors (high error rate for wide doorways) and others use vertically mounted diffuse reflective sensors. All counting systems would have correction factors applied to the count to give a more accurate "true pedestrian count". Can anyone provide suggestions/ comments/ links for this type of application, particularly with regard to the initial sensing/counting?

Best regards

Alastair Fordyce TM.IPENZ,REA, NZCE,CQA
Systems Engineer
Bremca Industries Limited www.bremca.co.nz
PO Box 7169
Christchurch
NEW ZEALAND
tel +64 (3) 332 6370
fax +64 (3) 332 6377
e-mail [email protected]

P

Pierre Desrochers

In order to have the real count, one way to do this would be to install security carpets... the size of the carpets should only be enough to fit one human and the sensitivity should be according to a weight of more than xx lbs.

My 2 cents

Pierre
[email protected]

A

Adolfo Jimmy Saldivias Valarezo

Hi:

You can use a profiling scanner.

You can check them at: http://www.stiscanners.com/products/scan/index.html

A profilin scanner is a grid of light. There are several beams at the Y axis and several grids at the X axis.

You can "draw the profile" of anything that is placed into the grid. In fact I understand the american mail uses it to measure the size of parcels.

Also one application is to measure the logs in the wood industry.

You can define "what is a person", I mean what is the area covered by a person, as opposed by the area covered by a dog for example.

And then count how many of those areas you have received.

STI defines their product as:

STI infrared profiling scanners are used in sophisticated control systems to provide solutions to a wide variety of customer applications such as verifying part presence, measuring products in both X and Y axes, and
drawing on-screen profiles of customer selected objects.

At their website, they have an interesting example of application that you may want to peruse:

Inspection
Use ValuScan for detecting changes in height, width, length, volume, position, level, and profile. ValuScan can detect the height of liquid in transparent bottles if the liquid itself is dark or opaque.

I hope it helps.

Jimmy Saldivias
TECSIM
Phone: 591-4-523438
Fax: 591-4-523413