Petroleum Tank Gauging

S

Sankey

Dear All,

Happy and prosperious 2008.

I am not a guru in Tank Gauging systems, but I have good experience in other automation systems using Siemens and Telemecanique PLCs. I am likely to land a project to implement inventory control for a petroleum tank, i.e. a mass or volume based level tank gauging system to be conected to a LAN.

Kindly give me starting tips as to the key paramters that are monitored in tank gauging systems, e.g. presure, temperature, density, level and recommended vendors for respective sensors. How do I detect gas emissions and leaks?

Please feel free to give your original ideas on gauging systems. I will appreciate them a lot.

BR

Sankey

J
MTG 3012 "Multi-fuction Tank Gauge" technology is for custody transfer, inventory, and loss control applications. It is a probe (top entry and bottom referenced) that is composed of multiple precision pressure transducers and Class A, 100 Ohm platinum, four wire RTD's space along the probe.

It provides Volume by both Hybrid and Hydrostatic Methods, Mass, Level, Multi-point spot temperature, Average product temperature, Multi-strata density, Average product density, Free water, Entrained water, Vapor pressure, Vapor Temperature, Volume flow rate, Mass flow rate, and optional leak detection, Atmospheric temperature, Atmospheric pressure, and redundancy (MTG 3024) from one instrument.

The transmitter head holds up to a 1,000 point strapping table and performs calculations to API, ISO, or GOST standards. The host can use either the raw or calculated data.

The MTG is an I.S. instrument with the zenner barriers placed within a local field interface (display/data concentrator/protocol & topology converter).

The communications from the MTG to the interface is MODBUS RTU. From the interface the most commonly used communication is MODBUS TCP/IP over Ethernet (fiber). Note: The interface (E/IFI or CIM) supports two Ethernet ports for redundancy (independent addresses) (10/100-Base Fiber or Copper supported). Other protocols and topologies are also supported from the interface.

Emissions reporting is based upon Vapor pressure, Vapor temperature, Atmospheric pressure, Atmospheric temperature, and number of tank cycles.

Product stratification (when to mix/heat or not) is based upon the multiple density strata and/or the multi-point spot temperature.

Product quality is derived by the specific gravity (Multi-strata density) and water (both free and entrained water measurement through density comparison at multiple strata).

Leak detection by change is pressure (mass). More percise than any form of change in level measurement.

In tank blending to specific gravity is supported by the multi-strata density.

Alarms by multiple sensors and parameters (Mass, Level, Temperature, Density, etc.)

Etc. Much more usable data then a conventional tank gauge, saving money if used.

The MTG installs in one tank opening (Gauge well preferred with entry for manual reference). Note: it is the only gauge that provides realtime direct comparison of all Hybrid Method measurements to the manual reference from the same physical point on the tank, without cumulative measurement errors from multiple locations, improper installation, and reference data.

MTG is an I.S. instrument, using only one electrical connection for both signal and power. It is self calibrating and self diagnostic after intial offset is configured.

Volume by Hybrid Method: You can use a level instrument, a multi-point spot temperature probe, two pressure transducers, and capacitance/float/displacer for water measurement using multiple tank openings, multiple electrical connections, multiple instruments to integrate, train, and maintain - and be less accurate in addition to paying a total higher cost of owership.

MTG is a patented technology by Gauging Systems Inc. - Sugar Land, TX - Phone: 281-980-3999 http://www.gaugingsystemsinc.com