PIC+serial printer

A

Anonymous

Hi
I have a pic16f877 and rs232 and I'm using these devices to write the datas to the PC by using Hyper terminal.(Serial communication 8N1).and I want to write directly to a serial printer.How can I do this with pic16f877 and rs 232?I sthe code that I wrote for PC sufficient for this purpose?

R

Robert Scott

It might be sufficient, as long as the data stream contains whatever control characters are required by your particular printer. Another difference might be that the PC can take in data without handshaking while a serial printer might require hardware or software handshaking if you send too much data all at once.

-Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

S

Steve Myres, PE

I'm not familiar with this PIC, but any setup that will work with Hyperterminal on the other end will probably work with a typical serial printer. The only caveat to this statement is that the printer may have proprietary command set that allows you to do thing like print bitmaps, run macros, etc, which you will not have access to unless you specifically program for them. But printing generic serial strings, including carriage returns and line feeds, will probably be fine with no alteration to your system.

What about serial Point of Sale printers? Are they the same as normal serial printers with the exception of having to CR LF more oftern then on larger width printers?

Nick