Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams and Standards

S

Steve Kriescher

Can anyone tell me where I can get some info (in soft format) on piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)?

Also, I am aware that there is an American standard (ANSI), is there a British (BS) and/or international (ISO) standard for these diagrams?

Thanks

S

Sam McWilliams

To the best of my knowledge there is no ANSI standard for piping and instrumentation diagrams but I will check that. Also I am not aware of any British standard. There is a standard available from the Process Industry Practices (PIP).

Let me know what you find.
Sam

B

Bob Peterson

> To the best of my knowledge there is no ANSI standard for piping and instrumentation diagrams but I will check that. Also I am not aware of
any British standard. There is a standard available from the Process Industry Practices (PIP).<

Isn't ISA one of the ANSI standards organizations?

ISA P&ID symbols are almost universal in the US, although there a zillion varients used.

W
The ISA5.x standards cover P&IDs. There are 8 subcommittees working on the following sections of the standard:

SP5, Documentation of Msrmt. and Control Instruments and Systems
SP5.1, Instrumentation Symbols and Identification
SP5.2, Binary Control Logic Diagrams for Process Operations
SP5.4, Instrument Loop Diagrams
SP5.5, Graphic Symbols for Process Displays
SP5.6, Software Documentation for Control Systems
SP5.7, Dev. and Use of Prcs. Flow Diag. and Ppng. and Instr. Diag.
SP5.8, Measurement & Control Terminology Review Subcommittee

In addition there are tools available to help people produce loop diagrams and point-to-points from P&IDs, including Instrument Design Works
( www.automating-automation.com ).

Walt Boyes

---------SPITZER AND BOYES, LLC-------------
"Consulting from the engineer
to the distribution channel"
www.spitzerandboyes.com
[email protected]
21118 SE 278th Place
Maple Valley, WA 98038
253-709-5046 cell 425-432-8262 home office
fax:801-749-7142
--------------------------------------------